Made with rolled oats, raisins, unsweetened applesauce and almond butter, these Gluten Free Oatmeal Raisin Muffins are ready in only 30 minutes!
If you haven’t already guessed it, my favorite kind of muffins are oatmeal raisin. They’re sweet but not too sweet and they have a really great chewy texture. What’s not to love? Made with rolled oats, raisins, unsweetened applesauce and almond butter, these Gluten Free Oatmeal Raisin Muffins are ready in only 30 minutes and are the perfect after-dinner dessert or brunch pastry.
My love of oatmeal raisin really started when I was in elementary school. One of my older brothers began experimenting in the kitchen and would make recipes he found in an old, inexpensive paperback copy of the Better Homes & Gardens New Cookbook my mom had sitting on the shelf. My other brother and I would help and the type of recipes we often chose to make were of the pie, cookie and pizza variety 🙂
Though we made many recipes during that time, the one we kept coming back to was one for a classic oatmeal raisin cookie. It was a flavor that everyone in the house enjoyed and a recipe that we always had all of the ingredients for in the pantry.
Since then, the oatmeal raisin combination has been my top choice for many things -bagels, scones, cookies, breads and muffins. If there was an oatmeal raisin ice cream flavor, it would probably be my favorite.
I’m sure it exists, right? Somewhere?
After thinking about my love of oatmeal raisin everything, I decided to take a crack at making something of my own.
Naturally, I made three failed batches of oatmeal raisin cookies.
I’m not exactly the best baker, and though I’m practicing and getting better each time, it’s definitely still a work in progress.
Luckily, something amazing happened – feeling disappointed and defeated, I picked up a “cookie” from the third batch (sure as hell didn’t look like a cookie), tasted it and immediately thought it would make a great muffin. It was too bread-y and moist to be a cookie, but it was too dense to be a cake. Muffin it is!
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Gluten Free Oatmeal Raisin Muffins
- 2 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with parchment paper liners.
- Blend 1 cup + 2 tablespoons of rolled oats in a blender on high until oats are ground into a powder to create an oat flour.
- In a large bowl, mix oat flour, remaining rolled oats, brown sugar, raisins, baking soda and ground cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together applesauce, eggs, almond butter and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the lined muffin tin evenly.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool and enjoy!
This page contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase on Amazon after clicking one of my links, I may receive a small commission. The price of the item stays the same and any money I make goes to supporting this blog. I only endorse products and services that I fully believe in. Thanks for your support!
Get my most popular recipes sent to you for FREE!
Sign up for the weekly newsletter and receive this free ebook featuring the most viewed Isabel Eats recipes of 2017! Sign up and download the free ebook today.