Filled with colorful bell peppers in a light yet creamy chili tomato sauce, this Healthy Chicken Fajita Pasta is perfect for those busy nights when you need to get something delicious yet healthy on the table quickly.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FamilyPastaTime #CollectiveBias
I just CANNOT believe that this is my first ever pasta dish on the blog. First, what took me so long? And second, it’s about time!
If this is what my first pasta recipe tastes like, good things are in store for my pasta future.
Filled with colorful bell peppers in a light yet creamy chili tomato sauce, this Healthy Chicken Fajita Pasta is perfect for those nights when you need to get something delicious yet healthy on the table.
Like pretty much this entire holiday season. ?
With Thanksgiving, Christmas and all the holiday parties right around the corner, AND all the sweets, treats and drinks that go along with fun get-togethers, sometimes we need a little balance. So why not make a dish full of veggies, lean protein and whole wheat pasta like this to take to your next holiday party? It’s for sure to be a welcome addition next to all the cookies and pies.
Growing up, my mom had one pasta dish that she made nearly every Sunday afternoon. A simple penne pasta lightly cooked in a flavorful tomato sauce with sautéed diced onions, all covered in some melty Mexican cheese.
It’s literally the simplest side dish ever, yet my brothers and sisters and I asked for it every weekend.
This recipe is inspired by that dish. Because I like to make everything with a little Mexican-inspired twist, I’ve incorporated lots of thinly sliced bell peppers and seasoned chicken à la chicken fajitas.
All in one. pot. Love it.
To make, just cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
While the pasta is cooking, season the chicken with tons of good Mexican spices like cumin, chili powder and paprika. Cook the chicken with the sliced bell peppers until softened. Mix in some tomato paste and add in the cooked pasta.
Mix everything together with some chicken stock, plain Greek yogurt and mozzarella cheese to create a creamy sauce and serve.
No fuss. Cooks in 30 minutes. Done.
I’m happy to be partnering with Barilla® to share this Healthy Chicken Fajita Pasta recipe using their Whole Grain pasta. The only ingredient in that little blue box? 100% whole wheat flour with the same great texture and taste as regular pasta.
Seriously. Just one ingredient. They’re like magicians. Don’t believe me? Take a look and learn more about Barilla products here.
And I know that more fiber + the overall nutritional benefits of whole grains = a healthier pasta night. So count me in.
I really hope you love this recipe as much as I do.
- 8 oz (1/2 box) Barilla® Whole Grain pasta
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pinch of black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- cilantro leaves, optinal
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
- In a large bowl or plastic storage bag, combine sliced chicken breast, salt, pepper, cumin powder, chili powder, ancho chili powder, onion powder and smoked paprika. eat large skillet with 2 tbsp olive oil. add in sliced chicken breast, minced garlic and spices. cook for 8 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet or pot with olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add in seasoned chicken and cook for 8 minutes, flipping chicken pieces occasionally.
- Add in sliced peppers and cook for 10 min, or until peppers have softened.
- Mix in tomato paste and remove the chicken fajitas from the heat.
- Add in the cooked pasta, chicken stock, Greek yogurt, shredded cheese and throughly mix together. Taste and season with more salt, if necessary.
- Top with a pinch of red pepper flakes, cilantro leaves and more cheese, if desired. Serve and enjoy!
All the products in this post were purchased at Target. ❤️ Where else can you buy high quality clothes, beautiful dinnerware, chic furniture AND all the ingredients you need for tonight’s dinner all in one place? The best part?! From now until November 26, you can head on over to Target and get 20% off a box of Barilla® Pronto Pasta using this Cartwheel offer. Time to stock up.