This Watermelon Agua Fresca (also known as Agua de Sandia) is a light and refreshing Mexican drink made with only 3 ingredients – watermelon, water and a touch of sugar!
Watermelon Agua Fresca (also known as agua de sandia or watermelon water), and other flavors of agua frescas have been a part of my childhood for as long as I can remember.
Growing up, the church my family and I went to held an annual outdoor carnival in the summer to help raise money for different church projects. The carnival lasted an entire weekend and it was full of booths and tents that had games for kids (duck pond, anyone?!), games for adults (like La Lotería), a dunk tank where you could get a chance at dunking the priest (I never could), live music and dancing and of course good food!
While I personally liked to end my church carnival experience with a snow cone, I liked to start it by buying a big cup of Watermelon Agua Fresca.
Why is it called agua fresca?
Because it’s literally made out of 3 ingredients – fresh watermelon, water and some sugar. Serve it over ice and you’ve got a super refreshing summer drink!
I garnished my watermelon water with some mint leaves and lime wedges for a little pizzazz, but it’s traditionally served without it.
You know what else you could add to this drink to kick it up a notch? Some vodka or tequila. It would make a light and refreshing summer cocktail!
Not that I’ve tried it or anything. Just sayin’. 😉
Special thanks to John for being the hand model in the photo above. He’s the best.
More Agua Frescas you’ll love
- Agua de Jamaica (Hibiscus Tea)
- Agua de Tamarindo (Tamarindo Drink)
- Horchata Recipe (Agua de Horchata)
- Agua de Pepino (Cucumber Agua Fresca)
- 6 cups diced watermelon (about 1/4 medium watermelon)
- 4 cups cold water
- 1/4 cup sugar (start with 2 tablespoons and add more to taste)
- limes wedges and mint leaves, for garnishing
- Combine diced watermelon and cold water in a large blender. Pulse on high until watermelon is 95 percent pureed.
- Add in sugar, pulse on high to mix and taste. Add more sugar if necessary.
- Serve chilled over ice. Garnish with limes and mint.