Easy Mexican Queso Dip
This homemade Mexican Queso Dip is easy to make and comes out creamy and smooth every time! Now you can make your favorite restaurant queso at home!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup minced onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1 jalapeño, minced (seeds removed if you don't want it spicy)
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk, divided
- 1 8-ounce block cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 6 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 6 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups )
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes and green chiles , drained
Heat a large saute pan or deep skillet over low-medium heat. Add butter and melt.
Add onions, garlic, jalapeno and salt. Saute for about 5 minutes, until vegetables soften and become very fragrant.
Add 3/4 cups of milk and cream cheese. Stir continuously until cream cheese has melted and is mostly smooth, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
Add shredded cheeses in small increments, stirring each increment into the mixture until it has completely melted before adding the next.
Once all the cheese is melted, add the can of diced tomatoes and green chiles and remaining 3/4 cups of milk. Gently stir until the mixture is combined and the dip is smooth and creamy. Remove from heat and serve.
- If the queso dip is too thick, stir in a splash of milk until it reaches your desired consistency.
- I recommend buying block cheese and shredding it yourself instead of buying pre-shredded cheese. The pre-shredded cheese at the grocery store is often covered with additives that are meant to reduce clumping, which doesn't always produce the best texture when melted.
- I prefer adding the canned diced tomatoes and green chiles at the end with the remaining milk because it keeps the tomatoes from getting too mushy.
Easy Mexican Queso Dip
Amount Per Serving (1 serving)
Calories from Fat 234
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 16g80%
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Vitamin A 1050IU21%
Vitamin C 7.4mg9%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 319kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 705mg | Potassium: 183mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1050IU | Vitamin C: 7.4mg | Calcium: 390mg | Iron: 1.1mg