Grilled Shrimp Tacos
These grilled shrimp tacos are seasoned with lime juice, garlic and cumin and served in corn tortillas with a creamy cabbage slaw, corn and cotija cheese.
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 4 servings
For the shrimp
- 1 pound large raw shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon tequila (I used an aged añejo tequila for a smoky flavor, but any kind will work)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (about juice of 1/2 lime)
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
For the slaw
- 4 cups thinly sliced cabbage (green, red or a combination of both)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (about juice of 1 lime)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
For the tacos and toppings
- 2 ears corn
- chopped cilantro, for garnishing
- cotija cheese, for garnishing
- lime wedges, for garnishing
- warm corn tortillas, as needed
Prepare grill: Preheat grill to medium-high heat (about 400°F-450°F) for direct-heat grilling. While grill is heating up, make the slaw.(For gas grilling, simply light all the burners on high, close the lid and let the grill heat up for 5-10 minutes. For charcoal grilling, the process is a bit more involved. Here's a super-quick read showing you step-by-step how to start a charcoal grill.)
Make the slaw: Add all slaw ingredients to a medium bowl and toss to combine. Taste and season with more salt if desired. If you prefer your slaw a little more dressed, add in more mayo and/or sour cream. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Grill the corn: Grill the ears of corn with the lid closed for 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally, until corn is caramelized and dark brown spots appear on the kernels. Transfer to a large plate or baking sheet and set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
Slice corn: When cool enough to handle, slice corn kernels off the cob and into a bowl. Set aside.
Season shrimp: In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients for the shrimp. Toss together until evenly coated.
Skewer: Thread the shrimp onto 4-6 metal skewers. (If using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in water for 15 minutes before threading shrimp to help prevent the skewers from burning on the grill.)
Grill: Grill the shrimp for 4-5 minutes, turning halfway through cooking, or until the shrimp are firm to the touch and opaque at the center.
Assemble tacos: Remove the shrimp from the skewers and serve in warm corn tortillas with slaw, grilled corn, cotija cheese and a spritz of fresh lime.
Nutritional estimate does not include corn tortillas.
Grilled Shrimp Tacos
Amount Per Serving (1 /4th of recipe)
Calories from Fat 72
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 3g15%
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Vitamin A 1000IU20%
Vitamin C 55mg67%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Serving: 1/4th of recipe | Calories: 296kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 178mg | Sodium: 500mg | Potassium: 410mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1000IU | Vitamin C: 55mg | Calcium: 480mg | Iron: 3mg