Taco Soup Recipe
This Taco Soup recipe delivers all the flavor of your favorite ground beef tacos, but in a soup! Serve with your favorite taco toppings and tortilla chips for a little crunch! (gluten free, freezer friendly)
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time55 mins
Total Time1 hr 5 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large bell peppers, diced (any color)
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can whole kernel corn, drained and rinsed
- 2 4-ounce cans diced green chiles
- 2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes, divided
- 1 1/2 cups broth (beef, vegetable or chicken - you could even use water if you don't have broth)
In a large mixing bowl, add the ground beef, chili powders, cumin, sea salt, garlic powder, minced onion, paprika and oregano. Mix together until fully combined. Set aside.
Heat a large dutch oven or stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the cooking oil, diced onion and diced bell peppers. Saute for about 5 minutes, until veggies start to soften.
Add the seasoned ground beef and cook, crumbling with the spatula or spoon, for about 10 minutes.
Add the pinto and red kidney beans, corn, green chiles, diced tomatoes and broth. Mix together, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
Uncover and cook for another 20 minutes to reduce some of the liquid. Season with salt to taste.
Serve with your favorite taco garnishes like sour cream, sliced green onions, shredded cheese, cilantro, jalapenos and more!
To freeze: First, cool the soup down completely by placing it in the fridge. Once chilled, store in freezer-safe zip-top bags or containers and freeze. When ready to eat, let frozen container thaw completely in the fridge or defrost in the microwave. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave until completely warm.
*Nutritional information does not include optional garnishes for serving.
Taco Soup Recipe
Amount Per Serving (1 /8th of recipe)
Calories from Fat 99
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 4g20%
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Vitamin A 1050IU21%
Vitamin C 116.3mg141%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Serving: 1/8th of recipe | Calories: 372kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 1360mg | Potassium: 586mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1050IU | Vitamin C: 116.3mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 5.4mg