Spicy Vegetarian Chili
This Spicy Vegetarian Chili is thick, satisfying and super filling! Serve it with your favorite toppings for an easy and healthy meatless meal. (gluten free, vegetarian, vegan)
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time1 hr 20 mins
Total Time1 hr 40 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 serrano chile, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 15-ounce cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons your favorite spicy hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, hot sauce
Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to caramelize.
Add bell pepper, carrots, celery, serrano chile and garlic. Raise heat to medium-high and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt and black pepper. Stir to combine and cook for 1 minute.
Add broth, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, and hot sauce. Stir together and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, uncovered, until the thickness of the chili is to your liking. The longer it simmers, the thicker it gets.
Remove from heat, mix in fresh lime juice and taste. Season with more salt if necessary.
Serve in bowls topped with shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro and more hot sauce if desired.
To freeze: First, cool the chili down completely by placing it in the fridge. Once chilled, store in freezer-safe zip-top bags or containers and freeze. When ready to eat, let frozen container thaw completely in the fridge or defrost in the microwave. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave until completely warm.
*Nutritional information does not include optional toppings.
Spicy Vegetarian Chili
Amount Per Serving (1 /6th of recipe)
Calories from Fat 72
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g5%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Vitamin A 5800IU116%
Vitamin C 58.6mg71%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Serving: 1/6th of recipe | Calories: 266kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 1445mg | Potassium: 798mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 5800IU | Vitamin C: 58.6mg | Calcium: 200mg | Iron: 4.1mg