This Spicy Vegetarian Chili is thick, satisfying and super filling! Serve it with your favorite toppings for an easy and healthy meatless meal. (gluten free, vegetarian, vegan)
The search for a satisfying, full-flavored, thick and spicy vegetarian chili even the biggest meat-eater will love is officially over!
This recipe is my take on the classic meatless chili with some added heat from serrano peppers and a healthy dose of hot sauce. It features a variety of veggies and two types of beans that quickly fill you up and leave you feeling all warm and cozy.
Serve this with a side of jalapeño cornbread and you’ve got ultimate comfort in a bowl.
Ingredients you need
To make this vegetarian chili recipe super filling and hearty, you’ll need
- 2 cans of fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 can of dark red kidney beans
- 1 can of black beans
Simmering these ingredients together with onions, peppers, carrots, celery and an amazing blend of spices will help thicken up the chili beautifully and satisfy even the biggest meat-eater in your life.
How to make vegetarian chili
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 20 minutes, until onions begin to caramelize. Stir occasionally.
- Add bell pepper, carrots, celery, serrano chiles and garlic. Raise heat to medium-high and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt and black pepper. Stir to combine and cook for 1 minute.
- Add hot sauce, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth and beans. Stir together and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour, uncovered. The longer it simmers, the thicker it will get.
- Mix in fresh lime juice before serving, taste and season with more salt if necessary.
Chili is one of those foods that gets better the next day, which makes it perfect for meal prepping. I like using glass containers like these to portion out servings to eat throughout the week, but don’t forget to pack all your favorite chili toppings! Here are some of the best things to mix into your bowl.