This Winter Kale Vegetable soup is loaded with vegetables like kale, carrots and celery and packed with super savory herbs like rosemary, thyme and garlic. Perfect for the cold winter days.
I’ve been home for 11 days from visiting the family over the holidays and I still feel like I’m not fully unpacked. Yes, my luggage has been emptied and my clothes have been put away. Yes, the Christmas tree and nutcrackers have been neatly stored in boxes in the basement. And yes, my full-time job has many tasks and future projects to keep me plenty busy. But for some reason, I don’t feel like I’m ready. And I think I know why.
My cooking game has NOT been on.
At least not like it was before the holidays.
It’s taken me a few days (more than I anticipated) to get re-acclimated to my non-holiday schedule. But after clearing a huge pile of dishes this morning and catching up on some DVR’d shows, I’m happy to finally say that I feel like I’m back and I’m ready.
And so I cooked.
This Winter Kale Vegetable Soup is just what I needed. It’s loaded with vegetables like kale, carrots and celery and packed with super savory herbs like rosemary, thyme and garlic. AND it’s a warm soup. Much needed after some really cold nights here in Pittsburgh.
I hope this funk I’ve been in is over. It’s funny how cooking always seems to help.
Winter Kale Vegetable SoupPrint Pin Rate
- 1 cups large or extra large onion chopped (about 2 )
- 1 lb carrots chopped
- 5 stalks celery chopped
- 5 cups kale chopped
- 2 tbsp butter or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 9 cups stock vegetable or chicken
- 1 tsp thyme dried
- 3 leaves bay
- 1/4 tsp rosemary dried
- 1 tbsp coarse sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper ground
- Heat butter on medium heat in large pot.
- When butter is melted, add onions and garlic.
- Stir and cook until onions become translucent but before the garlic burns, about 2 minutes.
- Add carrots and stir in with the onion and garlic.
- Let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add celery, kale, salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme.
- Stir and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and bay leaves.
- Stir and let cook, covered, for 30 minutes.