This easy, quick and healthy Spicy Avocado Toast with Egg only takes 10 minutes to make and will keep you full and satisfied all morning long.
Is there anything better on a weekday morning than starting your day off with some avocado toast?
I don’t think so.
Okay, maybe an extra 30 minutes of sleep would be amazing, but avocado toast is a close second.
Because it’s Monday morning and I’m already running late for work, today’s post is going to be a short one. So before I leave you to gaze longingly at the beauty that is this simple and delicious avocado toast, I have to tell you something pretty embarrassing.
I’m kinda new to this whole avocado toast thing.
I know, right?! Apparently I’ve been living under a rock or something.
I’ve always loved avocados and have eaten them for as long as I can remember. Growing up, my family actually made a similar dish that we usually ate for lunch called a ‘torta de aguacate’ – literally an avocado sandwich. The bread that we used is called a ‘bolillo‘ which is a french bread roll that is kind of like a baguette but not as small. We didn’t toast the bread, either. We simply sliced it open, filled it with a sliced avocado and seasoned it with salt and pepper.
So. Freaking. Good.
Note to self: I have got to create and post a recipe for bolillos.
To me, this whole avocado toast internet obsession is just a fancier version of a torta de aguacate. And I’m totally okay with that.
I’m always game for finding new ways to eat avocados so I’m happily jumping on this avocado toast train and not looking back.
Spicy Avocado Toast with EggPrint Pin Rate
- 1/2 ripe avocado, seeded and peeled
- pinch of sea salt + freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 slices of your favorite sandwich bread, toasted
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons crumbled cotjia cheese (or feta)
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado using a fork until it reaches the consistency you like. (I prefer my avocado mash slightly chunky - mostly mashed but with small avocado chunks here and there.) Set aside.
- In a small nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Gently crack in the eggs and cook to your liking. (I prefer mine fried on both sides with the yolk still runny in the middle.) Remove from heat and set aside.
- To assemble, spread half of the avocado mash onto a slice of toast. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Top mash with fried egg, season with more salt and pepper, garnish with half a teaspoon of red pepper flakes and half a tablespoon of cotija cheese (or more to your liking).
- Repeat for the other slice of toast and enjoy!
Free Monthly Meal Planner
Plan your meals, stay organized and take the guesswork out of grocery shopping every week with my free monthly meal planner printable! Just subscribe to the Isabel Eats newsletter to get it today!