This black bean burger recipe is made with quinoa, sweet potatoes, black beans and spices. No eggs required! It’s gluten free, vegetarian and vegan.
I LOVE a good veggie burger. Especially when it’s filled with some of my favorite ingredients like sweet potatoes, quinoa and black beans. Can’t get much better than that.
Oh wait – yes, it can.
Add a huge shmear of chili lime mayo and NOW it can’t get any better. ?
John and I have greatly increased our intake of beans the past few weeks. He’s been completely immersed in all things Tim Ferris (of The 4-Hour Workweek and The 4-Hour Body) and has begun following some of his nutrition and exercise recommendations, of which includes incorporating more beans into your diet.
Being the Mexican that I am, I’ve been totally supportive of that decision. Beans have always been a part of my life. Growing up, my parents had beans available at every. single. meal. It was usually pinto beans, but occasionally they had black beans when they felt like branching out.
Now the way they served the beans wasn’t fancy or revolutionary – it was either cooked beans in a broth with onions and spices or mashed refried beans.
While those ways of serving beans are still two of my favorites, I’ve been experimenting with different ways of eating them in my day-to-day life.
And that’s where this Sweet Potato Black Bean Burger comes in. Made with quinoa, sweet potatoes, black beans and spices, this black bean burger is gluten free, vegetarian and vegan. No eggs are necessary to bind the patties together. The mashed sweet potatoes and black beans do all the work. And the quinoa? It’s gives the black bean burgers a nice texture and adds a bit more protein to help with the satisfaction factor.
To make it even better, I whipped up a Chili Lime Mayo that’s easy to make and only requires a bowl and a fork. All you have to do is mix together some store-bought mayonnaise, chili garlic sauce (like this one) and freshly squeezed lime juice. It’s savory, a teeny bit spicy and has a touch of acidity that helps bring out all the flavors of the black bean burger.
Seriously the best condiment ever.
More healthy recipes you’ll love
For the sweet potato black bean burgers
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
For the chili lime mayo
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- juice of 1/4 of a lime
- buns or lettuce wraps
- lettuce, tomatoes, avocados, radishes
- Cook sweet potatoes in 400 degree oven, cut side down for 30 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, make the chili lime mayo. In a small bowl, mix together the mayo, chili garlic sauce and lime juice. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add salt, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, oregano, cumin powder and black pepper. Mix together and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add black beans and cooked sweet potatoes. Mash until consistency is only slightly chunky. Some beans will be completely mashed and others will not. This will help create a nice texture.
- Add in cooked quinoa and spices. Mix together with hands and form into 8 burger patties, about 1/3 cup of mixture each.
- Place burger patties on a large baking sheet covered in parchment paper. Spray with olive oil and bake in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Flip over, spray other side with olive oil and bake for another 10 minutes.
This page contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase on Amazon after clicking one of my links, I may receive a small commission. I only endorse products and services that I fully believe in. Thanks so much for your support!