Arroz con Leche (or Mexican rice pudding) is a comforting and simple no-fuss dessert that’s guaranteed to satisfy any sweet tooth. It can be served hot or cold and is made with only 4 ingredients!
Arroz con Leche, or Mexican rice pudding, will forever remind me of my family. It’s a warm, comforting and simple no-fuss dessert that’s guaranteed to satisfy any sweet tooth. But though this dish is perfect for the fall and winter months, it’s very versatile and can be served warm or cold.
My family makes it year round and doesn’t discriminate against the seasons. As long as it’s sweet, we don’t care when we eat it. (My family has a huuuge sweet tooth!)
Ingredients in Arroz con Leche
There are countless arroz con leche recipe variations out there. Some include sweetened condensed milk, others use whole milk, some use evaporated milk (like my Mom) and some use a combination of all three!
I like to keep things as simple and as uncomplicated as possible. As long as I can still get the same rich flavors, that’s all that matters. My recipe only uses 4 simple ingredients that you most likely already have in your kitchen.
- 2% milk (you can also use whole milk, but I don’t recommend using skim milk)
- long-grain rice
- cinnamon sticks
There’s also some water and a pinch of salt in there, but those are basic common kitchen ingredients so they don’t count.
Arroz con Leche Toppings and Mix-Ins
Because I like to keep things simple, I didn’t really add any mix-ins, but there are many variations that include adding raisins, shredded coconut and even rum!
I’ve had the variation with raisins before and I love it. The raisins get super warm and plump up in the pudding, when you finally eat them, they practically burst in your mouth. It’s amazing.
I’ve never had the coconut variation, but I’m not a huge fan of coconut so I’m not really interested in that one.
And rum?! Well, that sounds absolutely delicious and whoever thought of that is a genius. But it’s probably best to leave that one for special occasions only like Christmas, which is only 2 months away!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! If you make it, be sure to leave a comment and rating below. I’d love hear if you used any toppings or mix-ins!
How to make arroz con leche
More Mexican dessert recipes you’ll love
- Tres Leches Cake
- Mexican Wedding Cookies (Polvorones)
- Homemade Dulce de Leche
- Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars
Arroz con Leche (Mexican Rice Pudding)Print Pin Rate
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 4 cups milk (I used 2% milk, but you can also use whole milk for an even thicker consistency. However, I don't recommend using skim milk.)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- optional toppings: ground cinnamon, chopped nuts, a spoonful of cajeta
- In medium or large pot over high heat, add rice, cinnamon sticks, salt and water. Mix together and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 15 minutes until most of the water has evaporated.
- Add the milk, give it a stir, cover and cook for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar, give it another stir, cover and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid, raise the heat to medium-high and cook for another 5 minutes or until the rice pudding has reached a thick consistency.
- Remove from heat and let rice cool for 15 minutes. This will help the pudding thicken even more. Serve warm or refrigerate for 2 hours and serve cold.
- Garnish with cinnamon, chopped nuts, a spoonful of cajeta or any other toppings you like.
Get my most popular recipes sent to you for FREE!
Sign up for the weekly newsletter and receive this free ebook featuring the most viewed Isabel Eats recipes of 2017! Sign up and download the free ebook today.