This Avocado Egg Salad recipe is a healthy breakfast and lunch option that comes together in only 5 minutes! (gluten free, low carb, paleo, vegetarian)
Avocados and hard-boiled eggs are two of my favorite easy snacks, so I finally decided to pair them together to make this creamy dreamy Avocado Egg Salad!
This spin on the classic completely transforms the dish from something that’s often one-note and too heavy-handed with mayonnaise to something that’s light, bright and extremely flavorful.
Instead of using only mayo, this recipe features 1 whole avocado and a touch of light mayo. Add in a splash of lemon juice, some fresh dill and you’ve got a rich and creamy (yet light and healthy!) egg and avocado salad that’s perfect for breakfast or lunch.
Tips for making the best avocado egg salad
- I highly recommend using fresh dill. It adds so much flavor to these simple ingredients, it’s an absolute must! But alas, if you don’t have fresh dill, try using a pinch of dried dill instead. Start with 1/2 teaspoon and then taste and add more to your liking.
- Since I’m using avocados which contain lots of healthy fats, I’ve decided to go with a light mayo instead of the regular version. However, you can totally use regular full-fat mayo if that’s what you have. The taste will be the same!
- Not a fan of mayo at all? Try using plain Greek yogurt instead.
- Freshly cracked black pepper and some good sea salt like these Maldon Sea Salt Flakes go a long way in making this salad irresistible. The salt pairs perfectly with the acidity of the lemon juice and fresh dill, so don’t be shy!
- If you want to experiment with adding different flavors to this egg salad, try adding different herbs like fresh parsley or cilantro.
If you’re like me, you won’t mind eating this recipe by the spoonful all by itself. It’s just that good! But if you’re looking for a little more variety, here are some ideas on how to eat this avocado egg salad.
Idea for serving this avocado egg salad
- on toast
- in a sandwich or bagel
- on top of crackers
- in a pita pocket
- on toasted pita chips
- in an green salad
More recipes you’ll love
- 1 medium avocado, pitted and peeled
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced dill
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Add avocados to a medium bowl and mash with a spoon or fork until slightly chunky.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and mix. Taste and season with more salt and black pepper as needed.
- Serve on toast or enjoy with pita chips.