A crowd favorite, this Chicken Fajita Stuffed French Bread is a creamy, cheesy, and super flavorful appetizer that’s perfect for parties and game day!
Move over, buffalo chicken. There’s a new favorite in town.
I am so excited to introduce you to my new favorite appetizer. Meet Chicken Fajita Stuffed French Bread. It’s cheesy and creamy. It’s packed with fajita vegetables and lean protein to fill you up. It’s seasoned to perfection with cumin, oregano, chili powder and garlic.
AND it’s all in a crusty loaf of french bread that’s makes serving it at parties super fun.
To make, you need a large loaf of french bread or two smaller loaves. Cut out a large rectangle through the top of the loaf to hollow out the middle. But be careful not to cut through the bottom. You don’t want any filling to fall out. That would be sad.
You won’t be using the top part of the loaf that you cut out, so feel free to do whatever you want with it. You can cut it into smaller pieces and make croutons. You can make garlic bread with it. Or you can just eat it as is.
I recommend toasting it and eating it with a soup like this Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds.
For the filling, you need to saute some fajita vegetables – colorful bell peppers and onions. That’s the fajita base.
For the chicken base, you need cream cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese, shredded chicken, and a ton of flavorful Mexican spices.
Then layer the fajita veggies and the cream cheese mixture into the loaf of bread and top with some more cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees and enjoy!
To save some time making this recipe, I used canned lean chicken breast that I found near the canned tuna in the grocery store. But you can bake your own chicken and shred it if you’d like.
Or better yet, you can use leftover shredded chicken if you have some in the fridge. Love me some leftovers.
I hope you enjoy this stuffed bread as much as I do!
- 1 large loaf french bread, or two small loaves
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 large yello bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
- 12 oz can shredded chicken breast, drained
- 1 3/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut out a large rectangle through the top of your loaf of bread to hollow out the middle. If there’s still too much bread inside, just scoop and pull it out with your fingers until there’s a nice hole to put the filling in. Be careful not to cut through the bottom of the loaf.
- Heat medium skillet over medium-high heat with 2 tbsp olive oil. Add in diced bell peppers and onions and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, until veggies are softened and super aromatic. Onions will become translucent and begin to caramelize.
- In a medium bowl, mix together together cream cheese, sea salt, garlic, cumin, oregano, chili powder, paprika and ancho chili powder.
- Stir in 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese and shredded chicken.
- Spoon in half of the sautéed vegetables into the loaf and top with half of the chicken and cream cheese mixture. Create another layer by topping with the remaining vegetables followed by more chicken and cream cheese.
- Top with the remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese and bake on a baking tray at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and begins to bubble.
- Let the stuffed bread sit for about 5 to 10 minutes and top with cilantro leaves. Slice and serve!