This Avocado Chocolate Mousse is a decadent yet healthy dessert that only takes 5 minutes to make in the blender. It’s an easy recipe that’s also gluten free, paleo and vegetarian.
Do you celebrate Valentine’s Day? I think I may have once or twice in my life, but that’s pretty much it.
Wait – does elementary and middle school count? Because those were actually the best Valentine’s Day celebrations. You bought the cool cards with your favorite characters on them, you passed them out to the whole class and left school with some candy. Yep, those were the good ‘ol days.
It doesn’t have to end though. Right? I mean, nobody is stopping me from buying cool Valentine’s day cards with puppies and kittens on them and passing them out to my favorite people.
Okay, I’ve convinced myself. I’m officially buying the cheesiest Valentine’s Day cards and giving them to friends and family. Except this time, instead of candy, they’re getting this avocado chocolate mousse.
Say hello to your new favorite dessert!
Why this Avocado Chocolate Mousse is so great
- The only kitchen tool you need is a blender.
- You most likely already have the ingredients (avocados, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and some others)
- It’s literally ready to eat in 5 minutes as a chocolate pudding if you don’t feel like waiting for it to thicken in the fridge.
Seriously the easiest dessert ever!
And since it’s made with avocados, that means it’s healthy, right? Righhhht. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
To give it a little Mexican flair, I added some ancho chili powder and cinnamon to the mixture as well as a sprinkling on top as garnish. To give it a beautiful pop of color, I served it with pomegranate seeds.
How To Make Avocado Chocolate Mousse
Place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave them in 30 second increment, stirring between each and watching carefully so the chocolate doesn’t burn.
When the chocolate is almost completely melted, remove it from the microwave and stir until smooth. Set aside.
Have and pit the avocados. Scoop the avocado flesh into a blender and add the melted chocolate, cocoa powder, almond milk, vanilla extract, salt, 1/2 teaspoon of ancho chili powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Blend until smooth.
Scoop mousse into two 8-ounce glasses or 4 small bowls. Enjoy immediately as a pudding or cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to achieve a thick and creamier mousse texture.
- Try serving the avocado mousse with other fruit! Apples, bananas, cherries, or any type of berry would work.
- Don’t like fruit? Try other toppings like shaved coconut or slivered almonds.
- Don’t have any ancho chili powder? Try chipotle chili powder, or for more heat try ground cayenne!
- To get an extra dark chocolate mousse, use dark chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate chips.
Tips and Tricks
- Chocolate burns quickly, so be sure to watch the chocolate chips when they’re melting to avoid any burnt chocolate!
- When blending, be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the container once or twice to ensure everything is getting incorporated evenly. Sometime little bits of food get stuck!
- When covering the chocolate avocado mousse to refrigerate, use plastic wrap and place it directly on top of the mousse so it touches the entire surface. This will help keep a thin top layer from forming.
More dessert recipes
- Cherry Chocolate Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- No Bake Chocolate Crunch Bars
- Mexican Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
I hope you love this quick and simple recipe – be sure to give it a review below! To get more easy Mexican recipes delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for my weekly email newsletter. You can also follow Isabel Eats on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest!
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup milk (any kind)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder, divided
- pomegranate seeds, for serving (optional)
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between each and watching carefully so that the chocolate does not burn. When the chocolate is almost completely melted, remove it from the microwave and stir until smooth. Set aside.
- Halve and pit the avocados. Scoop the avocado flesh into a blender and add the melted chocolate, cocoa powder, almond milk, vanilla extract, honey, salt, 1/2 a teaspoon of ancho chili powder and 1/2 a teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Blend until smooth.
- Enjoy immediately as a pudding or cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to achieve a thicker and creamier mousse texture.
- Top with pomegranate seeds, remaining ground cinnamon and chili powder.