Walking Tacos are the perfect crowd-pleasing meal to serve on game day, at parties, and even potlucks! Filled with corn chips, an easy beef and bean mixture, and all your favorite toppings, they’re easy to make and fun to eat!
This post is sponsored by Bush’s® Beans. All opinions expressed here are my own.
Walking tacos are on the game day menu this year and everyone is so excited! Made from a mixture of corn chips, a flavorful beef and bean skillet, and all the best toppings, this is a crowd-pleasing recipe that’s easy to make and fun to eat!
While I’m not personally a huge sports fan, I do enjoy the food and community around sporting events, so I’ll be taking charge of the game day and tailgating recipes this year.
This walking taco recipe is a favorite of mine because it only takes 20 minutes to make and assemble from start to finish, and doesn’t skimp on flavor thanks to Bush’s® Pinto Chili Beans in a Mild Chili Sauce, which are seriously seasoned to perfection.
What is a walking taco?
A walking taco is a popular portable meal that’s made from a bag of corn chips filled with all the best taco ingredients like beans, ground beef, cheese, sour cream, salsa, and more!
It’s a great party food that kids and adults love, plus there’s very minimal cleanup since there’s no need for plates or bowls!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Beans: To make the walking tacos super flavorful with minimal work, I used two cans of Bush’s® Pinto Chili Beans in a Mild Chili Sauce. They come in a flavorful sauce that would otherwise take hours to make if you did it yourself. So, instead of spending so much time in the kitchen trying to make the perfect beans, do yourself a favor and just buy them! I can’t recommend them enough.
- Ground beef: I used ground beef to add some extra protein to this meal, but you could also use ground turkey, ground chicken, or your favorite plant-based alternative.
- All the toppings: I used diced tomatoes, sour cream, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, and green onions.
How to Make Walking Tacos
- Prep all the toppings so they’re ready to go. Shred the lettuce, dice the tomatoes, slice the green onions, and get the sour cream and cheese out.
- Cook the ground beef in a skillet with olive oil, chili powder, and garlic until browned. Then add in the cans of BUSH’S beans, combine, and cook until warmed through.
- Assemble the walking tacos by opening the bags of corn chips and scooping some of the beef and bean mixture into each bag along with any desired toppings.
What size chip bag is best for walking tacos?
I recommend buying 2-ounce bags of corn chips for walking tacos if you can. This size gives you more room to add all the delicious fillings and toppings, and is a great size for feeding adults.
1-ounce bags will also work in a pinch, especially if you’re serving small children. Just keep in mind that you can’t fit as many fillings in it since the bag is smaller.
Helpful Tips and Variations
- If eating walking tacos out of a chip bag isn’t your thing, you can turn it into a walking taco bar instead! Set out disposable bowls and forks next to all the ingredients so people can build out their bowls how they please.
- Though the beef and bean skillet come together super quick, you can also make it up to 2 days ahead of time and just heat it up right before serving to save some time.
- Other topping ideas include sliced olives, guacamole, chunky salsa, and diced onions.