Chicken Burrito Bowls are easy to make, healthy and perfect for taking to lunch! They’re loaded with juicy chicken, rice, black beans, corn and more!
If I had to pick one Mexican recipe that’s healthy enough to eat every day, has a ton of flavor and is easy to make, I’d choose this Chicken Burrito Bowl!
What is a burrito bowl?
A burrito bowl is a dish that contains all the ingredients of a typical burrito, but without the tortilla. As suggested in the name, it’s served in a bowl and is eaten with a fork.
Burrito bowls became popular thanks to the fast food chain Chipotle, and I’m so glad they did! They’re a great option when I’m trying to eat healthy on the go, and they’re filled with real flavorful ingredients that I feel good about eating.
Are burrito bowls healthy?
Yes! Burrito bowls are healthy depending on the toppings you choose. This recipe is packed with protein and fiber to keep you full, fresh veggies with lots of micronutrients and healthy fats to keep you satisfied.
To keep things on the lighter side, I used plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and didn’t use any shredded cheese.
But don’t worry – these bowls still have a ton of flavor! I find that if you squeeze some fresh lime juice on top and then mix everything together, the juices from the chicken, tomatoes, guacamole and plain Greek yogurt make a tasty sauce.
If you’d like to add an additional dressing, this Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing made with Greek yogurt is a great option!
What goes in a burrito bowl?
A burrito bowl can be filled with practically anything you want! Here’s what I suggest you use as a starting point.
- Protein (chicken, steak, ground beef, tofu, grilled fish) – for this recipe, I used the marinated chicken thighs that I made in this BEST Easy Chicken Tacos recipe post, but you can also use any leftover chicken you have in the fridge. If you’re short on time, a cooked rotisserie chicken from you grocery store is a great option.
- Rice or quinoa – for this recipe, I used some cilantro lime rice but if you’re wanting to lower carb option, you could use some mexican cauliflower rice or cilantro lime cauliflower rice.
- Beans – I used black beans, but you could also use pinto beans or chickpeas
- Corn – if using canned, make sure to drain and rinse it first
- Shredded romaine lettuce
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Plain Greek yogurt – or you could use sour cream instead
- Guacamole – I used this easy guacamole recipe, but you can use store bought or simply use some diced avocados instead
How long do burrito bowls last in the fridge?
These bowls will last in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To store them, I recommend packing the lettuce, sour cream and guacamole in a different container than the rest of the burrito bowl. That way you can reheat the main ingredients in the microwave, and then mix in the fresh ingredients afterwards.
Here are some of my favorite meal storage containers to use:
- large glass meal prep containers for the main burrito bowl ingredients
- a small zip-top snack bag works wonderfully for the lettuce
- small condiment containers are great for the sour cream and guac
More recipes you’ll love
- Easy Steak Fajitas
- Easy Shredded Chicken Recipe
- Easy Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
- The Best Taco Salad Recipe