This Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice is an easy and healthy recipe that’s ready in only 15 minutes. It’s got a little bit of pep from the lime and will help you get more veggies on the table in no time! It’s also low carb, gluten free, paleo, Whole30, vegetarian and vegan.
Cauliflower rice, or cauli-rice, is a quick and easy side dish made of grated cauliflower florets. It’s light, fluffy and resembles regular rice. It can be substituted for rice in most dishes and it’s very healthy since it’s made from only vegetables.
Say hello to one of my favorite ways of getting more vegetables on my plate!
Why this Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice is so great:
- This Mexican cauliflower rice recipe is so versatile. You can use it in a stir fry, stuff it in a burrito, put it in a soup or just eat it as a side as part of a larger meal.
- It’s the perfect rice substitute and it’s so healthy!
- Not only can you pair it with so many dishes, but it’s insanely easy to make. Double whammy, people.
It’s even easier than cooking regular rice. I’m ashamed to admit it, but I’m terrible at making rice. I have no idea why. I’ve undercooked it, I’ve burned it, I’ve made it mushy wayyy too many times in my life. Just ask John. Whenever we make regular rice for a meal, I always ask him to do it.
How to make cilantro lime cauliflower rice
In a large bowl, grate cauliflower florets using a cheese grater or lightly pulse florets in a food processor until it’s finely chopped and resembles rice.
Next, saute the riced cauliflower with the oil, salt, and pepper in a large pot over medium-high heat for 5 to 8 minutes until it softens. The beauty about cauliflower rice is that you don’t need to add any liquid. Thanks to cauliflower’s high water content, all you have to do it heat it up!
Lastly, remove the pot from the heat and add in the chopped cilantro and lime juice and you’re done!
Tips and Tricks
- If you’re short on time, buy riced cauliflower at the store then proceed to Step 2 in the recipe.
- Don’t overcook the cauliflower rice as it can get mushy! Be sure to taste as you go and stop cooking when it still has a little firmness to it.
- Give this healthy cauliflower rice a little heat by adding some finely chopped peppers (like jalapeno or poblano).
- This easy dish can be bulked up with even more veggies by adding some finely diced onions.
- Cooking for someone with an aversion to cilantro? Try using parsley or even green onion instead!
Ways to use Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
Looking for ways to use this dish? Here are some of my favorite ideas!
- make it into a casserole like this Broccoli Cauliflower Rice Chicken Casserole
- serve it with fajitas like these Easy Steak Fajitas
- in a burrito bowl like this Chicken Burrito Bowl
- on the side with some enchiladas like these Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas
Or if you’re a big cauliflower lover, you can always eat it by itself!
I hope you love this quick and simple recipe – be sure to give it a review below! To get more easy Mexican recipes delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for my weekly email newsletter. You can also follow Isabel Eats on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest!
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or butter)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (about 1 1/2 limes)
- In a large bowl, grate cauliflower florets using a large cheese grater or lightly pulse florets in a food processor until finely chopped and resembles rice.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add olive oil or butter. Add shredded cauliflower, salt and black pepper.
- Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower rice begins to soften. Be careful not to overcook as the cauliflower can get mushy.
- Remove from heat and stir in chopped cilantro and lime juice. Taste and season with more salt if necessary.
Free Monthly Meal Planner
Plan your meals, stay organized and take the guesswork out of grocery shopping every week with my free monthly meal planner printable! Just subscribe to the Isabel Eats newsletter to get it today!