Cilantro Lime Rice is an easy and delicious side dish that pairs perfectly with so many Mexican foods! It’s made with a short list of ingredients that make it perfect for weeknight meals. Better than Chipotle’s!
Table of Contents
Rice is a staple ingredient in many Mexican households. It’s the one side dish that can be served with anything and enriches the flavors instead of overpowering them. While most people typically choose authentic Mexican rice made with a red tomato broth, sometimes you may prefer something lighter, refreshing, or different.
That’s exactly where this Cilantro Lime Rice comes in. It’s light, refreshing, and easily goes with everything. The zesty lime and aromatic cilantro mix creates a savory taste that’ll make the whole family crave this dish.
Cilantro Lime Rice Ingredients
- Rice: Long-grain white rice gives you a fluffy and light texture. Make sure to rinse it under water to remove any extra starch.
- Broth: Using chicken or vegetable broth gives the rice even more flavor. If you don’t have any, water will work too.
- Oil: Olive, avocado, or your favorite vegetable oil works great for frying rice. You could also use butter for that delicious buttery flavor!
- Cilantro: A staple Mexican herb that adds brightness and freshness.
- Lime: Adding lime zest and lime juice gives a tangy citric flavor.
- Seasonings: I use kosher salt and garlic cloves to add a savory taste.
How to Make Cilantro Lime Rice
- Rinse and toast: Rinse the rice under running water until the water runs clear, then saute it in hot oil until the rice begins to lightly brown and gets toasted.
- Add garlic, broth, and salt: Saute garlic for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Then, pour in broth, salt, and stir to combine.
- Cook: Bring the rice to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes until the rice is cooked through and all the water has been absorbed. Then uncover and remove the pan from the heat.
- Add cilantro and lime: Add cilantro, lime zest, and lime juice to cooked rice. Gently fluff it to incorporate the ingredients and serve.
Looking for ways to pair your Cilantro Lime Rice? Here are some good options:
To store, place the leftover rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.