These Black Bean Brownies are easy to make, fudgy, healthy and completely flourless. All you need is a can of black beans and a blender! They’re also gluten free.
If you’ve never had black bean brownies, you are in for a treat!
Full of good-for-you ingredients like black beans, eggs, 100% unsweetened cocoa powder and cinnamon, these brownies pack some serious nutrients like fiber, protein and iron that you wouldn’t normally get from your average brownie made with all-purpose flour.
And the best part is they don’t taste like beans at all! Really! Beans are the last thing on your mind when you take a bite of these. It’s pretty amazing how tasty they are.
(Don’t forget to check out these Mexican Brownies!)
Ingredients in Black Bean Brownies
To make these brownies, here’s what you need:
- Black Beans – One 15-ounce can is all you need. Make sure to drain and rinse the beans beforehand.
- Eggs – The eggs help to keep the brownies moist and rich as well as act as a leavening agent alongside the baking powder.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – Adds that pure chocolate goodness we all know and love! I used regular cocoa powder, but you can use dark cocoa powder if you’re a dark chocolate lover.
- Granulated Sugar – Helps to add a touch of sweetness to the brownies since the cocoa powder has none.
- Unsalted Butter – A touch of butter helps to keep the brownies moist. You can also use vegetable oil or applesauce to lower the fat.
- Ground Cinnamon – I love the combination of cinnamon and chocolate! However, you can omit the cinnamon if you want a pure chocolate flavor.
- Baking Powder – This acts as a leavening agent and helps to give the brownies a little rise so they’re not completely flat. But don’t worry – they’re still fudgy!
- Vanilla Extract – Really helps the chocolate flavor pop!
- Salt – A hint of salt helps to balance out the sweetness in desserts, including these black bean brownies.
- Chocolate Chips – Used for topping the brownies right before baking for extra chocolaty goodness!
How To Make Black Bean Brownies
The best part about these black bean brownies is that no hand mixing is required. You don’t need to use any bowls, let alone two separate bowls for wet and dry ingredients. All you need is your handy dandy blender. Just dump all of the ingredients into your blender (except for the chocolate chips) and blend until smooth.
Pour the batter into an 8×8 baking dish, top with your favorite chocolate chips and bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
When they’re done, you should get something that looks like the photo above. Fudgy. Chocolatey. Irresistible.
Recipe Tips and Variations
A lot of the brownie batter can get left behind in the blender after mixing. Use a silicone spatula to get as much of the batter out as possible and into the baking pan.
Looking to cut out some of the fat? Substitute applesauce for the butter in the recipe.
Not a fan of white sugar? Use maple syrup, honey or coconut sugar instead.
To add a hint of peanut butter, use 1/2 chocolate chips and 1/2 peanut butter chips.
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! If you made this recipe or have any questions, let me know in the comments below!