You won’t miss pie with this fall version of your favorite Mexican dessert! This pumpkin tres leches recipe includes perfectly moist and spiced sponge cake topped with whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice!
The pumpkin spice craze has officially taken over, and you’ll love this tres leches version of it.
What is Tres Leches Cake?
Traditional Tres Leches Cake features a light and fluffy sponge cake, soaked in a perfectly sweet three milk mixture made of evaporated milk, whole milk, and sweetened condensed milk. It’s topped with homemade whipped cream and dusted with cinnamon or sprinkled with fresh fruit. You can find my traditional tres leches cake recipe here.
All the pumpkin!
I wanted to make a fall version of this cake and immediately thought of using pumpkin. This recipe uses pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice in the cake mixture, and is dusted with pumpkin pie spice on the whipped topping for extra flavor.
The pumpkin flavor and extra pumpkin spice is balanced well with the sweetness of the three milk mixture, which won’t leave an overpowering taste. It’s a great alternative to pie or other traditional fall and holiday desserts if you’re looking to change things up!
How to make pumpkin tres leches cake
- Mix dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, mix your dry ingredients by adding the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Whisk together to combine.
- Mix wet ingredients. In a large bowl, mix the wet ingredients by adding the pumpkin puree, eggs, granulated sugar, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract. Whisk together until fully combined.
- Combine. Combine the dry ingredients and wet ingredients. Whisk together until well combined and smooth.
- Bake. Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes. Once fully baked, let the cake cool down for about 10 minutes.
- Make the three milk mixture. While the cake is cooling, mix together milk, sweetened condensed milk, and evaporated milk and set aside.
- Soak. Once the cake is cooled, gently unstick the sides of the cake from the pan with a small knife or spatula. Then, poke holes all over the cake using a skewer or a large fork. Gradually pour the three milk mixture over the cake. Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours to let the cake fully cool and absorb the liquid.
- Make the whipped topping. While the cake is soaking, add the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract to a large bowl. Beat on high speed using a handheld or stand mixer until soft peaks form. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Garnish. Once the cake has fully absorbed all the milk mixture, spread the whipped topping and dust with pumpkin pie spice.
This Pumpkin Tres Leches cake is the perfect crowd pleaser for the upcoming holidays like Thanksgiving or Christmas, or really any occasion!
Make ahead and storage
- This cake can be made up to 3 days ahead of time and stored in the fridge until ready to serve. However, I recommend leaving the whipped topping off until right before serving.
- Cover and refrigerate any leftover cake for up to 4 days.
Tip: I recommend eating and serving this cake cold, so feel free to make it ahead of time!