This Chex Mix recipe is easy to make and brings together all the crunchy, salty and delicious buttery flavors with a hint of smoky spicy goodness! It’s the perfect snack for sharing!
Get ready for the most addicting snack you’ve ever had in your life – this Spicy Chex Mix recipe is in the house!
Seriously though. This Chex party mix is basically the best snack ever! No exaggeration. It’s been really difficult for me not to eat 3 or 4 servings in one sitting because it’s just. that. good! So if you find yourself eating a bit more than you planned, don’t say I didn’t warn you.
This homemade chex mix is a million times better than any of the store bought bags you can get at your grocery store. It’s jam packed full of flavor thanks to all the real, fresh ingredients and it stays crispy and crunchy for 3 to 4 weeks when stored in an airtight container. Whether you serve it during football season at parties, during the holidays when you have guests over or just on nights when you’re on the couch watching a movie, this snack mix is a total crowd pleaser.
Ingredients you’ll need
- 9 cups chex cereal (I used a combination of rice, corn and wheat)
- 1 cup nuts (I used mixed nuts)
- 4 cups your favorite salty and crunchy snacks (I used a combination of mini pretzels and bagel chips)
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- Worcestshire sauce
- garlic powder, salt, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, cayenne
Once you’ve got all of your ingredients ready, the actual cooking/baking part is as easy as mixing everything together and baking it until it’s crispy. Here’s what you do.
How to make chex mix
Preheat oven to 250ºF. In large bowl, add the chex cereals, mixed nuts, mini pretzels and bagel chips. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, onion powder, chili powder, paprika and cayenne.
Pour the butter sauce over the cereal mixture and toss together until everything is evenly coated.
Spread the chex mix onto a large rimmed baking sheet and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes to make sure everything crisps up evenly. Let cool slightly before eating.
How easy is that?!
How spicy is this chex party mix?
Not very spicy at all. It’s definitely on the mild side. If you’re looking for something a little spicier, I recommend you double or even triple the amount of cayenne.
Other Mix-Ins and Variations
- Feel free to use any nuts that you like. I used just your basic mixed nuts, but you can use just cashews, walnuts, almonds, whatever you like!
- If you like your snacks to be a mixture of salty and sweet, add in some chocolate or peanut M&M’s!
- I’m a big cheese girl, so you better believe that I’m going to be adding some Cheez-Its to my batch next time. I’m a big fan of the jumbo size Cheez-Its!
- Want to make it more kid-friendly? Omit the chili powder and cayenne and add in Goldfish crackers and Cheerios!
More snack recipes you’ll love
- Homemade Tortilla Chips
- Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Chips
- Jalapeno Parmesan Crisps
- Healthy Chicken Nachos
- Baked Lime Tortilla Chips
- 3 cups corn chex cereal
- 3 cups rice chex cereal
- 3 cups wheat chex cereal
- 1 cup mixed nuts
- 2 cups mini pretzels
- 2 cups plain bagel chips
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, (3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- Preheat oven to 250ºF. In large bowl, add the corn, rice, and wheat chex cereals, mixed nuts, mini pretzels and bagel chips. Set aside.
- Place the butter in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until the butter completely melts. Add the Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, onion powder, chili powder, paprika and cayenne. Whisk together until combined. Pour the butter over the cereal mixture,
- Pour the butter sauce over the cereal mixture and toss together until everything is evenly coated.
- Spread the chex mix onto a large rimmed baking sheet and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes to make sure everything crisps up evenly. Let cool slightly before eating.