Bionicos (Mexican Fruit Bowls) are a refreshing and sweet dessert you can enjoy all summer long! Made with fresh fruit, a sweet cream sauce, and lots of toppings, this popular Mexican street food is easy to make and ready in less than 10 minutes.
Sweet, juicy, and refreshing, these Bionicos (Mexican Fruit Bowls) are one of my favorite treats to enjoy during the summer. Layers of fresh fruit are dressed in a sweet and tangy yogurt sauce before being finished with a few delectable toppings. It’ll be the best fruit salad you ever try!
Just like fresas con crema and Mexican fruit cups, each bite of this Mexican fruit cocktail is sweet, creamy, and luscious. The recipe is flexible too! Use any seasonal fruits or berries you love and layer each bowl with plenty of toppings. My favorites are shredded coconut, granola, honey, and pecans.
All you need are a handful of ingredients, a few topping options, and less than 10 minutes to put it all together. It’s a cool and refreshing treat that was made to enjoy next to the pool or under the summer sun!
What are Bionicos?
Bionicos (pronounced “bee-oh-nee-koze”) are made with a variety of chopped fruit, a sweet, creamy sauce, and toppings. Invented by a street vendor in Guadalajara, these fruit bowls were originally meant to be a healthy breakfast item. As their popularity grew, bionicos quickly became a dessert instead!
This Mexican fruit salad can be made with almost any kind of seasonal fruit, but the traditional choices are usually strawberries, bananas, cantaloupe, or papaya. An authentic creamy dressing for bionicos is made with Mexican crema but sour cream is the next best thing. Lastly, finish each bowl with lots of toppings, like granola, shredded coconut, and nuts.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Sweet cream sauce – Made from plain yogurt, sweetened condensed milk, sour cream or Mexican crema, and vanilla. This sweet and tangy sauce is drizzled on top or underneath the fruit in the bowl to give the dessert its signature creamy texture.
- Fresh fruit – I used strawberries, bananas, apples, cantaloupe, pineapple, and blueberries. Feel free to swap these with anything else you like! Cherries, blackberries, peaches, or mangoes would also be great options.
- Toppings – Keep things on the sweeter side by topping your bionicos with shredded coconut, honey, pecans, or raisins. You could also use granola, chia seeds, walnuts, or almonds to make it more filling.
How to make bionicos
Stir the yogurt, sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, and vanilla extract together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, toss the chopped fruit together.
Evenly divide the mixed fruit into small bowls for serving. Drizzle some of the sweet cream mixture on top of the fruit in each bowl. To finish, top the bionicos with your desired toppings and enjoy!
Tips and substitutions
- For a thinner consistency, use plain yogurt in the sweet cream.
- For a thicker consistency, use plain Greek yogurt instead.
- If you have a sweet tooth, feel free to double the amount of the sweet cream mixture. Spoon the extra on the bottom of each bowl as well as on top of the fruit.
- Instead of sour cream or crema, you can use cottage cheese to keep things healthy.
- Make it extra luscious with a drizzle of dulce de leche, cajeta, or honey on top!