Ready in only 35 minutes from start to finish, this chicken and summer squash recipe is loaded with yellow squash, zucchini, corn, tomatoes, and juicy chicken. Made in one skillet with tons of good-for-you ingredients, it’s the perfect summer dinner!
This post is sponsored by Mazola® Corn Oil. All opinions expressed here are my own.
This chicken and squash skillet is a really easy and delicious way to use up a variety of seasonal summer vegetables.
Packed with summer squash, fresh corn, ripe tomatoes, juicy chicken breast, and my favorite Mexican-inspired spices, this recipe is perfect for weeknight dinners.
The tomatoes cook down to create a light and flavorful sauce, while a sprinkling of shredded cheese creates a top layer of melted ooey-gooey goodness.
Each serving is high in protein, loaded with good-for-you veggies, and just enough melted cheese to keep you coming back for more. Pure summer perfection!
Ingredients in chicken and squash skillet
- Roma tomatoes and garlic
- Spices – chili powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, and salt.
- Yellow squash and zucchini – I used both but you can use all yellow squash or all zucchini if you prefer.
- Chicken breast – sliced into bite-sized chunks to help everything cook a little faster.
- Shredded cheese – for that little something extra that will keep you coming back for more.
- Mazola® Corn Oil – an all-purpose cooking oil that’s heart-healthy* and great for sauteing.
- Corn – I used fresh corn kernels that I sliced off of 2 ears of corn, but you can use about 1 cup of frozen or canned corn kernels if you prefer.
How to make chicken and summer squash
This summer squash recipe comes together all in one skillet or pot! Here’s how to make it:
- Saute onion and garlic: Cook the onions and garlic in a little Mazola® Corn Oil in a large skillet or pot for 3 minutes, until the onions begin to become translucent.
- Add chicken: Add the chicken, chili powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, and kosher salt. Cook for 6-8 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add vegetables: Add the yellow squash, zucchini, corn, and tomatoes. Cook for 8-10 minutes until the squash becomes fork tender.
- Melt cheese: Remove the skillet from the heat, top with shredded cheese, cover, and let it sit for a few minutes until the cheese has fully melted.
- Serve: Garnish with chopped cilantro and a sprinkling of fresh lime juice.
This dish is great served on its own or with a side of tortilla chips, but if you’re looking to stretch it even further, here are a few sides that would go great with it:
- 2 tablespoons Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 yellow squash, quartered and sliced into ½-inch pieces
- 1 zucchini, quartered and sliced into ½-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh whole kernel corn, sliced off from 2 medium ears of corn
- 2 roma tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped cilantro, for garnish
- lime wedges, for garnish
- Heat Mazola® Corn Oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add chicken, chili powder, salt, cumin, and smoked paprika. Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through.
- Add yellow squash, zucchini, corn, and tomatoes. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until squash starts to become tender.
- Remove from heat, top with shredded cheese, cover, and let sit for 3-5 minutes, until the cheese completely melts.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and limes wedges.
- Squash: You can use all yellow squash or all zucchini if you prefer.
- Shredded cheese: Cheddar, Monterey jack, colby jack, or mozzarella all work.
- Corn: I used fresh corn that I sliced off of 2 ears of corn, but you can use about 1 cup of frozen or canned corn if you prefer.
*See www.mazola.com for information about the relationship between corn oil and heart disease.
**Corn oil is a cholesterol-free food that contains 14g of total fat per serving. See nutrition information on product label or at Mazola.com for fat and saturated fat content.