Breakfast quesadillas stuffed with shredded cheese, fluffy scrambled eggs, crumbled bacon, sauteed red onions, and baby spinach. Easy to make, ready in 15 minutes, and perfect for breakfast, lunch and even dinner!
This recipe is sponsored by my friends at Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs. All opinions expressed here are my own.
If these breakfast quesadillas don’t make you fall in love with breakfast, I don’t know what will! The combination of eggs and tortillas has always been a favorite of mine in Mexican cuisine (like in this simple and easy migas recipe and breakfast tacos). These quesadillas take that popular combo to a whole new level by adding some cheese and other goodies like bacon!
Packed with protein, these quesadillas are super satisfying and come together in only 15 minutes. My husband and I have eaten these for brunch on weekends and as a quick dinner when the inevitable brinner (aka breakfast for dinner) cravings hit. They never disappoint!
Ingredients you’ll need
To make breakfast quesadillas, all you need are 6 simple ingredients: eggs, flour tortillas, shredded cheese, spinach, red onion, and crumbled bacon. You’ll also need a few pantry staples like olive oil, salt, and black pepper.
For the eggs, I used 5 Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs. I’ve been a big fan of theirs for a few years now because their eggs are so high quality. Not only are they USDA Certified Organic, free range and Certified Humane, but the overall flavor is so much better than any other store-bought eggs I’ve ever had! I can’t recommend them enough.
For the tortillas, I used 4 soft taco-size flour tortillas I bought at my local grocery store. You could also use homemade flour tortillas if you have them on hand. Just make sure to warm them up so they’re pliable and soft, that way they won’t crack or rip when you fold them over to cook them.
How to make Breakfast Quesadillas
To make these quesadillas, first cook the bacon in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crispy on both sides. Transfer the bacon to some paper towels to absorb any excess grease. Once it’s cool enough to handle, crumble it into pieces and set aside.
Discard the grease that’s leftover in the skillet and wipe it clean. Using that same skillet, saute the diced onions and spinach in a little olive oil.
If you prefer, you can use the bacon grease to cook the veggies. However, I tested the recipe both ways and liked the one made with olive oil the best. I personally found that the bacon grease overpowered the flavor of everything, but feel free to cook it however you like.
Next, cook the scrambled eggs in the same skillet with a little olive oil. The eggs cook quickly, so have a silicone spatula at the ready. Once you pour the beaten eggs into the skillet, they’ll start to bubble – that’s when you want to start stirring. Once they start forming and coming together, remove the pan from the heat and transfer the eggs to a bowl. They may still be slightly wet, but that’s okay – they’ll continue to cook in the quesadilla.
Now comes the fun part – assembling the quesadillas! Start by spreading out some shredded cheese on half of a tortilla. Then top with a layer of scrambled eggs, sauteed onions and spinach, crumbled bacon, salt and pepper, and then some more cheese.
Close the other half of the tortilla over the filling and cook it in the skillet for about 1-2 minutes per side until the cheese starts to melt and the tortilla gets crispy.
More breakfast recipes to try
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 medium red onion, diced
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 5 large Pete and Gerry's Organic Eggs, beaten
- 4 soft taco-size flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (Mexican-blend or mozzarella preferred)
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- salsa and sour cream, for serving
- Cook the bacon: Add bacon to a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and cook for 4-5 minutes, flipping halfway through, until crispy. Transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towels and let cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, crumble bacon into pieces. Set aside. Discard bacon grease and wipe the skillet clean.
- Cook the veggies: Add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil to the same large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 2 minutes. Add spinach and cook for 30 more seconds. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Cook the eggs: Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggs and let sit for 10-15 seconds. Then, gently stir them until the eggs are just cooked through. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Assemble the quesadillas: Sprinkle shredded cheese on one half of each tortilla. Top with a layer of scrambled eggs, sauteed onions and spinach, crumbled bacon, a generous pinch of salt and pepper, and a final layer of shredded cheese.
- Cook the quesadillas: Fold the tortillas over and cook in the large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for about 1-2 minutes per side, until the cheese starts to melt and the tortilla starts to get crispy.
- Serve immediately: Transfer quesadillas to a cutting board and cut in half. Serve with your favorite salsa and sour cream.