Seasoned with cumin, garlic, chili powder, lime juice, and cilantro, these Mexican Slow Cooker Chicken Carnitas Tacos are the perfect dinner for any night of the week.
If you were stranded on a desert island and you could only make one dish for the rest of your life, what would it be?
For me, it would have to be… tacos. Hands. Down.
I used to think it was pizza because, well, I’m pretty much addicted. But upon further examination, tacos seem to have an infinite number of recipe variations and it would take quite a while for me to get tired of them. That and I’m Mexican, sooo there’s that. 😉
Is that too stereotypical? Yeah, maybe, but it’s true. I definitely have an emotional connection to them thanks to my family. A connection that I’m so grateful and happy to have. Basically, tacos are in my bones.
Seasoned with cumin, garlic, chili powder, lime juice, and cilantro, these Mexican Slow Cooker Chicken Carnitas Tacos are ready in only 4 hours thanks to my slow cooker.
Is there any other kitchen appliance that makes cooking dinner so incredibly easy? I don’t think so.
Slow cookers just bring out a depth of flavor of meats and their seasonings so well, and it’s hard to get from a regular, non-marinated recipe. I’m all about dumping things into a slow cooker and coming back to it in 4 or 8 hours.
Maybe that means I’m lazy? Yeahhh, probably, but I’ve got no shame.
If you don’t have a slow cooker, I highly recommend you get one. They’re inexpensive, come in many different sizes and make getting dinner on the table so much easier.
I actually have two different slow cookers. Obsessed much?
- Here’s the small 3-quart slow cooker I have. It’s super inexpensive and gets the job done. Is great for dips, soups and smaller meals.
- Here’s the larger 8-quart slow cooker that I have that I actually got from John’s mom. It’s great for stews, chilis, roasts and for those times when you’re meal prepping and need to make large amounts.
At $24 and $40 price points, you really can’t go wrong.
To truly give my slow cooker chicken carnitas an opportunity to shine, I served them in warm corn tortillas and topped them with tomatoes, avocados, cotija cheese, sour cream, cilantro and a spritz of lime juice.
If corn tortillas aren’t your thing, you can use flour tortillas, simply serve it over rice or even use lettuce cups to keep it grain-free and paleo-friendly.
Like this chicken carnitas recipe? Try these!
For the chicken carnitas
- 2.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1.5 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice (about 1.5 limes)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
For the tacos
- 20 corn tortillas (or lettuce cups to make it grain-free and paleo)
- 1 cup finely chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 limes, cut into small wedges
- diced avocados
- sour cream
- diced tomatoes
- Add the chicken, cumin powder, garlic, salt, chili powder, brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of lime juice into the slow cooker. Mix together with a large spoon.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours (or low for 6-8 hours) until chicken can easily be shredded with a fork.
- Add in the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of lime juice and chopped cilantro. Toss with chicken and taste. Season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve in warm corn tortillas (or in lettuce cups to make it grain-free/paleo) and with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
LIKE THIS MEXICAN SLOW COOKER CHICKEN CARNITAS TACOS RECIPE? LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW!
This page contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase on Amazon after clicking one of my links, I may receive a small commission. The price of the item stays the same and any money I make goes to supporting this blog. I only endorse products and services that I fully believe in.