These healthy Egg Muffin Cups make weekday breakfasts easy and fun, especially if you’re on the go! Made with deli ham, roasted poblanos and a few simple seasonings, they’re perfect on their own or great served with toast, fresh fruit or yogurt.
Confession time – I love egg muffin cups!
I’ve posted a few different flavor combinations on the blog before (see Egg Cups 3 Way – Chipotle Sweet Potato, Verde & Fajita and Chicken Green Chile Egg Muffins), and I still can’t get enough!
They’re so easy to make, they’re a great healthy breakfast option for busy weekday mornings and they’re kinda fun to eat if you ask me.
This Ham and Poblano Egg Muffin Cup recipe is my latest flavor combo that I’m obsessed with. Roasted smoky poblano peppers, extra protein from the ham to make everything a little more filling and a simple seasoning to tie everything together. You can’t go wrong!
How to make these Egg Muffin Cups
First, you’ll need to roast and chop some poblano peppers. Instructions are included in the recipe card below. (If you’ve never roasted poblanos before, take a look at this post on how to roast poblano peppers with easy step-by-step photos of the process.)
Once you’ve got your poblanos roasted and chopped, spray a regular-sized 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
Place 2 slices of deli ham into each muffin cup and press them down to form them into little cups. If the deli ham you have is very large, you can use one slice, folding it in half to fit in the muffin cups.
Evenly distribute the chopped poblanos into each cup.
Then, gently crack an egg into each up if you like your eggs whole. If you’re like my husband and prefer your eggs scrambled, whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl and pour them into each cup.
Top each egg muffin cup with a simple seasoning mixture of black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and salt. Bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes, until eggs are cooked through and firm.
Let them cool down for 10 minutes before removing them from the tin, top with a little chopped cilantro and eat up!
Don’t these look amazing?! I can’t wait for you to try them!
More breakfast recipes to try
I hope you love this recipe – be sure to give it a review below! To get more easy Mexican recipes delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for my weekly email newsletter. You can also follow Isabel Eats on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest!
- 2 large poblano peppers
- cooking spray, for greasing muffin tin
- 24 slices deli ham (or 12 if the slices are very big)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 12 large eggs
- Roast poblanos: Line a small baking sheet with aluminum foil and place poblano peppers on top. Set your oven rack directly underneath the broiler and turn broiler on high.
- Broil poblanos in the oven for 5 minutes, or until the skin is blackened and blistered. Carefully flip them over and broil for another 5 minutes, or until the skin is blackened and blistered.
- Remove them from the oven, loosely cover the baking sheet with aluminum foil or plastic wrap to keep in some of the heat and help them steam, and let them sit for 5 minutes.
- Pull and rub off as much of the loose skin on the peppers as possible. It doesn't have to be perfect. (View some step-by-step photos on how to roast poblano peppers here.)
- Transfer poblanos to a cutting board, discard the stem and discard the seeds and veins if you don't want them spicy. Cut poblanos into long strips and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Prepare oven and muffin tin: Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously spray 12 cups of a regular muffin tin with cooking spray (or grease with olive oil).
- Make seasoning: Combine black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and salt in a small bowl. Mix together and set aside.
- Form muffin cups: Place 2 slices of deli ham into the bottom of each muffin cup and press down on the bottom and sides to form a little cup/boat. (If you're using 12 slices of ham total, use 1 slice per muffin cup.)
- Add roasted poblanos: Evenly distribute the chopped roasted poblano peppers into each muffin cup.
- Add eggs: If you like your eggs whole, carefully crack an egg into each muffin cup. If you prefer your eggs scrambled, whisk eggs in a large mixing bowl and pour scrambled eggs into each muffin cup.
- Season: Sprinkle the top of each muffin cup with seasoning.
- Bake: Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the eggs are cooked through, firm and no longer "jiggly."
- Cool: Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Use a toothpick or knife to loosen the sides of each muffin cup and lift them out. Top with chopped cilantro and enjoy!