Mexican Stuffed Peppers filled with ground beef, chicken or turkey and seasoned with an easy taco seasoning perfect for weeknight meals!
Stuffed peppers have always been a family favorite, but you might be surprised to learn that the version I grew up eating wasn’t really healthy at all. While I still love them so much and make them for special occasions (they’re stuffed with cheese and fried in a light batter. yum!), I knew I wanted to make a healthier tex-mex version that’s perfect for everyday weeknight meals.
That’s how this recipe was born!
Filled with your choice of ground meat, some rice, corn and seasoned with Mexican spices, these easy stuffed peppers are ready in only 30 minutes. They can be made ahead of time and are great leftovers for lunch!
How to make stuffed peppers
Slice the bell peppers in half and remove the veins and seeds. Place them in a 9×13 3-quart baking dish cut side down and bake them for 10 minutes at 375°F. This will help soften them up a little before you add the filling.
While the peppers are baking, make the filling by browning some ground meat (either beef, chicken, turkey or vegetarian) in a skillet over medium high heat, and season it with cumin, oregano, salt, chipotle powder and chili powder. Remove the meat from the heat and mix in some cooked rice, corn, diced tomatoes and chopped cilantro.
Remove the peppers from the oven and turn them over cut side up. Fill each pepper with the meat mixture and top with shredded cheese. Bake for 15 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
My favorite ways to serve these are by topping them with a dollop of sour cream or avocado crema, some extra chopped cilantro and a little dash of hot sauce.
Tips and tricks for making stuffed peppers
- Make it lower carb – use cilantro lime cauliflower rice or Mexican cauliflower rice instead of regular white or brown rice.
- Make it vegetarian – use your favorite store-bought ground meat substitute or add in extra rice, beans, quinoa or sweet potatoes to the mixture instead of ground meat.
- Prepare them ahead of time by filling the cooked bell peppers with the meat mixture and cheese. Then cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours ahead of time. When ready to make, bake in 375°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until peppers and filling are warmed through and cheese has melted.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 or 5 days. Reheat in a microwave on high for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
More recipes you’ll love
- Crockpot Stuffed Peppers
- Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Healthy Avocado Salad
- 30 Minute Chicken Fajitas
- Chipotle Turkey Zucchini Boats