Cool down with a refreshing chelada! This Mexican beer cocktail features a salt-rimmed glass, lime juice, and a Mexican lager beer. It’s simple, quick to make, and perfect to enjoy with friends on your patio!
What Is a Chelada?
A chelada is a simple and refreshing beer cocktail that features Mexican lager beer in a glass with a salted rim and lime juice. You’ve probably seen this popular drink at a Mexican restaurant, but they’re so simple you can definitely make your own at home!
Chelada vs Michelada. What’s the difference?
Although they sound similar, cheladas and micheladas are very different. Micheladas are beer cocktails similar to a bloody mary in that it uses tomato juice, hot sauce, and other spices along with a Mexican lager beer. Cheladas are strictly Mexican lager beer with salt and lime. Check out my michelada recipe!
- Mexican lager beer: My favorites to use are Corona, Modelo Especial, Dos X, Tecate, Sol, and Pacifico.
- Lime wedge and kosher salt: Used to make the salted rim. You can also use a tub of margarita salt.
- Lime juice: You can use freshly squeezed limes or store-bought lime juice, but I find fresh limes to have better flavor.
- Ice: This is optional, but it definitely makes it more refreshing.
Using ice is optional. It definitely makes the drink extra cold, but it also has the potential to water it down if left sitting too long. To prevent it from getting watered down, make sure the beer and lime juice are chilled before using.
How to Make a Chelada
- Make the salted rim. Run a lime around the rim of your glass. Dip the edge of the glass in kosher salt.
- Add some ice cubes, if using, and pour in the lime juice and beer.
- Garnish with a lime wedge, and enjoy!
Cheladas are inherently simple and refreshing drinks to make. If you’re wanting to jazz it up a bit, here are a few things you can do!
- Beer glasses. Basic 16-ounce pint glasses for beer are the best for this recipe.
- Lime squeezer. A must for squeezing out as much lime juice out of every lime.
- Margarita salt. Not totally necessary, but this makes rimming glasses for various cocktails super easy! I use mine all the time, and it lasts a long time.
An ice-cold chelada pairs beautifully with so many Mexican appetizers and dishes! Here are a few suggestions: