This refreshing Michelada recipe made with Clamato juice and Mexican beer is the perfect cocktail for brunch or alongside your favorite Mexican party foods!
Say hello to the best Mexican brunch cocktail – the Michelada! It’s light, refreshing and made with a dash of hot sauce. My kind of cocktail.
I made and photographed this Michelada recipe when my husband was out of town so naturally I ended up drinking both glasses. Oops! I didn’t want to be wasteful and have to throw one away or anything. I was just doing the right thing if you think about it. At least that’s what I keep telling myself.
If you’ve never heard of a Michelada before, you may be asking yourself…
What is a Michelada?
A Michelada is a Mexican cocktail made from tomato juice, beer and spices.
I like to think of Micheladas as the Mexican version of a Bloody Mary because they’re often served at brunch, they’re both touted as hangover cures and they both have that tomato-y quality. But instead of mixing the drink with vodka like a Bloody Mary, it’s mixed with a Mexican beer.
- Clamato juice
- lime juice
- Worcestershire sauce
- soy sauce
- hot sauce
- Mexican lager beer
Most of the ingredients in a Michelada are fairly well known except for maybe the Clamato juice. In case you’ve never heard of it, Clamato juice is a tomato juice cocktail made from tomato juice, spices and clam juice. That’s right, clam juice. It may sound a little weird, but it’s delicious!
It’s similar to a V8 tomato juice, but lighter and has a distinct flavor which works well with all the other ingredients, especially the Mexican beer.
You can find it at your local grocery store near the other juices or you can grab it on Amazon here.
How to make a Michelada
- Run a lime wedge around the rim of a glass and dip in coarse sea salt and chili powder. Fill beer glass with ice cubes.
- Add Clamato juice, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, hot sauce and a dash of chili powder.
- Top with your favorite Mexican beer. Stir and enjoy immediately.
Like this Michelada cocktail recipe? You may also like these!
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt (or any flaky sea salt)
- 3/4 teaspoon Tajin seasoning (or chili powder)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- ice cubes
- 2/3 cup Clamato juice (or V8 tomato juice)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4 drops worcestershire sauce
- 4 drops soy sauce
- 4 drops hot sauce
- 1 12-ounce bottle Mexican lager beer
- Mix together the salt and Tajin seasoning on a shallow plate.
- Moisten the rim of two pint glasses with a lime wedge. Dip the glasses into the salt mixture to coat the rim.
- Fill both glasses 2/3 full with ice.
- Divide the Clamato juice, lime juice, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and hot sauce evenly into each glass.
- Top both glasses evenly with beer.
- Garnish with lime wedges and enjoy!