This refreshing Michelada recipe is made with tomato juice, beer, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and hot sauce. It’s the perfect cocktail for brunch, or anytime you need to cool down with something with a little extra flavor!
Say hello to the best Mexican beer cocktail – the Michelada! It’s light, refreshing, and made with a dash of hot sauce. My kind of drink.
I made and photographed this Michelada recipe when my husband was out of town, so naturally, I ended up drinking both glasses. Oops! I didn’t want to be wasteful and have to throw one away or anything. I was just doing the right thing if you think about it. At least that’s what I keep telling myself.
If you’ve never heard of a Michelada before, you may be asking yourself…
What is a Michelada?
A Michelada is a popular Mexican beer cocktail made from tomato juice, beer, spices, and hot sauce.
It’s a refreshing drink that’s often compared to the Bloody Mary cocktail because they’re both served at brunch, they’re touted as hangover cures, and they both have that tomato-y quality.
The Michelada, however, is mixed with Mexican beer instead of vodka.
- Tomato juice (or Clamato juice)
- Lime juice
- Worcestershire sauce
- Soy sauce
- Hot sauce (like Tabasco, Tapatio, or Cholula)
- Mexican lager beer
- Tajin seasoning (or chili powder if you don’t have any)
Tomato Juice or Clamato juice?
Many Michelada recipes call for tomato juice or Clamato juice, and some recipes don’t use any and opt for only hot sauce and other seasonings.
That being said, the drink is traditionally made with Clamato juice which is a tomato juice cocktail made from tomato juice, spices, and clam juice.
What you decide to use is really up to you and what you prefer!
How to make a Michelada
- Salt the rim: Run a lime wedge around the rim of a beer glass and dip it in salt and Tajin. Fill the glass halfway with ice cubes.
- Add seasonings: Add tomato or Clamato juice, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and hot sauce.
- Add beer: Top with your favorite Mexican beer. Stir, taste, and adjust seasonings if needed.
What is the Best Beer for Micheladas?
Light and refreshing Mexican lagers like Corona Extra, Sol, Tecate, Pacifico, and Modelo Especial are the best beers to use when making Micheladas.
What is the Best Hot Sauce for Micheladas?
Some good options are Tabasco, Tapatio, Cholula, or Louisiana-style hot sauce. It comes down to personal preference!
What’s the Difference Between a Chelada and a Michelada?
A Michelada is a beer cocktail often mixed with tomato juice, hot sauce, lime juice, and other seasonings like Worcestershire sauce.
A chelada is a much simpler Mexican drink made from only beer, lime juice, and salt.
- Mix together the salt and Tajin seasoning on a shallow plate. Run a lime wedge along the rim of two pint glasses, then dip the glasses into the salt mixture to coat the rim.
- Fill both glasses half full with ice cubes.
- Divide the tomato juice, lime juice, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and hot sauce evenly into each glass.
- Top both glasses evenly with beer, garnish with lime wedges, and serve.
- Make sure to taste and adjust the seasonings to your liking! I prefer my Michelada extra spicy, so I always add a lot of hot sauce.
- Plain tomato juice or any flavored variety will work. The Spicy Hot V8 tomato juice is my personal favorite for micheladas. You can also use Clamato juice. You can even use a spicy bloody mary mix!