These healthy turkey burgers are topped with a deliciously creamy chipotle sauce and a quick red cabbage slaw. Ready in only 25 minutes!
Today’s healthy grilled turkey burgers recipe is sponsored by my friends at Honeysuckle White. All opinions expressed are my own. Thank you so much for supporting the brands that make Isabel Eats possible!
Grilling season is finally here! I’m so excited get outside, enjoy some warm weather and grill up some good food.
I’ve always been a big fan of grilling kabobs and skewers (see Grilled Garlic Herb Shrimp Skewers and The Juiciest Chicken Kabobs Ever), but today we’re going to tackle my other favorite thing to grill – burgers!
I’m partnering with my friends over at Honeysuckle White and Shady Brook Farms to show you how to make a healthy, juicy and flavorful grilled turkey burger in only 25 minutes!
For the burger patties, I’m using Honeysuckle White’s Spinach and Kale Turkey Patties to keep things quick, easy and healthy. They’ve got spinach and kale mixed right into the patty and are the most convenient thing ever when you want to get dinner on the table quickly!
They’re my go-to brand for turkey products because they’re the only major national turkey brand to exclusively provide family farm-raised turkeys!
I had the pleasure of visiting a Honeysuckle White turkey farm in Missouri last year, and it was such a great experience. I saw first-hand just how much the farmers and everyone involved cared about raising and providing good quality food to others. That is so so important.
To find out where you can get these Honeysuckle White Spinach and Kale Turkey Patties and more near you, click here.
Once you’ve got your turkey patties, here’s how to grill ’em up!
How to grill turkey burgers
- Spray the grill racks with nonstick cooking spray to help prevent the burgers from sticking to the grill.
- Cover and preheat the grill for 3-4 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Brush one side of the turkey patties with a little oil and place on the grill rack, oiled side down. Cover and cook for 4 minutes.
- Brush the tops of the patties with a little cooking oil, flip them over and cook for another 4-5 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
That’s it! Grilling the burgers is a super easy process that shouldn’t be intimidating at all.
Pro Tip: If you’re worried you may under cook or over cook the burgers, I recommend getting an digital thermometer like this one. I use a thermometer all the time, and it can be helpful anytime you’re cooking poultry.
Now we can’t forget about the toppings! The chipotle sauce and the quick cabbage slaw are what really make this turkey burger irresistible.
For the sauce, I used my favorite Easy Chipotle Sauce recipe and adapted it for the burgers. It’s made with only 4 ingredients:
- light mayo
- chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- garlic powder
For the slaw, I tossed together some sliced red cabbage, lime juice, cilantro and salt.
The cabbage and chipotle sauce provide a smoky and creamy yet bright and acidic flavor that pairs well with the grilled burgers. All that’s left to do is assemble the burgers and get eating!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! To get more easy Mexican recipes delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for my weekly email newsletter. You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram andPinterest!
For the sauce
- 3/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
For the cabbage
- 1/4 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (about 1/2 lime)
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
For the burger
- cooking spray, for greasing grill
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 4 Honeysuckle White Spinach & Kale Turkey Patties
- 4 brioche hamburger buns
- Make the sauce: Add all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Transfer to an airtight container, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make the cabbage: Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare the grill: Spray your grill rack with nonstick cooking spray. Or you could also put some olive oil on a paper towel and wipe the grill rack. Cover and preheat to medium-high heat.
- Grill the burgers: Brush one side of the turkey patties with cooking oil and place on the grill rack, oiled side down. Cover and cook for 4 minutes. Brush the tops of the patties with cooking oil, flip them over and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Assemble the burgers: Spread 2 tablespoons chipotle sauce on the top and bottom of each bun. Top the bottom bun with a grilled turkey patty, add a handful of cabbage and then the top bun.