This moist, tender, fall-apart salsa verde chicken can be made in the slow cooker or Instant Pot for the easiest dinner ever! It’s made with chicken breasts or thighs, salsa verde, onions, garlic, herbs, and spices that make the dish extra flavorful. Great in tacos, tostadas, enchiladas and Mexican rice!
Perfect for quick meals, this flavorful salsa verde chicken recipe is one of my go-tos for adding protein to my burrito bowls, tacos, enchiladas, salad and more. It’s made with a handful of ingredients that I always have in my kitchen and requires very minimal prep work. That’s a win-win in my book!
Best of all, it can be made in a slow cooker or an Instant Pot, making this an easy no-fuss weeknight dinner recipe the whole family will love.
- Chicken: I used boneless skinless chicken breasts but you can also use chicken thighs if your prefer.
- Salsa verde: You can use any store-bought version you like or make your own homemade salsa verde. I definitely prefer the homemade version, but when I’m in a hurry I like using the Herdez brand salsa verde.
- Onions and garlic: Adds some more flavor that helps round out the dish.
- Spices and herbs: Some ground cumin, dried Mexican oregano (or regular dried oregano), garlic and onion powder deepen the flavors of the salsa verde and make it irresistible. No bland chicken here!
- Cilantro and lime juice: This is mixed in at the end when the chicken has been shredded. It adds some brightness and acidity to the salsa verde that gets better and better the longer it sits.
How to make salsa verde chicken
Making this in the slow cooker is as easy as dumping everything into the crock pot and cooking it on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
If you’re short on time, you can also make this in the Instant Pot or any electric pressure cooker! Simply place everything in the pot and pressure cook on high for 15 minutes. When it’s done, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then quick-release any remaining pressure.
The chicken will be fall apart tender and all you have to do is pull it apart with some forks. Then mix in some chopped cilantro and lime juice to really take it to the next level and that’s it!
- Once everything is mixed in, give it a taste and season it with salt as necessary. I don’t recommend adding salt during the cooking process because the store-bought salsa verde is often very salty.
- To add even more flavor, you can use skin-on thighs or breasts and sear the outside so that the skin is crispy and golden brown. Then add it to the slow cooker or Instant Pot and cook as directed.
I love having this salsa verde chicken on hand to use in all sorts of easy meals. You can use it in any recipe that calls for shredded chicken or pair it with your favorite Mexican sides. Here are some of my favorite ways to eat it:
- on top of homemade tostada shells
- in tacos, burritos, and enchiladas
- served with cilantro lime cauliflower rice for a great low carb option
- as the filling for chicken taquitos
- in soups like this chicken tortilla soup
To store the salsa verde chicken, let it cool, transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the fridge. It will keep for up to 5-6 days.
You can also freeze it for up to 3 or 4 months!