Enchiladas Suizas – enchiladas filled with shredded chicken and cheese and covered with an addicting salsa verde cream sauce. Simply the best!
Thank you Cacique® for sponsoring this post. Visit your local grocery store to pick up your fave Cacique® product for a delicious dinner tonight!
Creamy and cheesy Enchiladas Suizas are what’s for dinner tonight! Filled with shredded chicken and melted Manchego cheese, these classic Mexican enchiladas are a definite crowd pleaser. The first thing my husband said after he took a bite (and while his mouth was still full 😊) was, “Wow! These are good!” I couldn’t ask for a better compliment than that!
In case you’ve never heard of these before, you may be wondering…
What are enchiladas suizas?
Enchiladas Suizas, or Swiss-style enchiladas, are chicken enchiladas topped with a tomatillo cream sauce. They’re characterized by the use of dairy throughout, from the classic crema Mexicana in the sauce, to the melted cheese inside, and on top of, the enchiladas.
If you’re not familiar with traditional Mexican ingredients, you may have another question.
What is crema Mexicana?
Crema Mexicana is a cultured cream, very similar to sour cream, except it’s a bit sweeter in flavor, and smoother and richer in texture. It’s pourable and liquid, like heavy whipping cream, but it’s usually used in savory dishes, like soups, and for topping on tacos and enchiladas.
The most important part of the dish is the tomatillo cream sauce. To make, simply mix together 2 1/2 cups of salsa verde and 1/2 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana. The final result is a creamy, rich, and tangy green tomatillo cream sauce that is absolutely addicting!
My family is obsessed with Cacique® Crema Mexicana and my oldest sister in particular puts it on everything she can think of. After making and devouring this recipe, I don’t blame her!
Cacique® products make creating Mexican recipes easy! I get to savor the tastes and flavors of Mexican food without spending a long time in the kitchen.
September 15th kicked off the start Hispanic Heritage Month and I’m so grateful that this blog has given me a platform to celebrate my family’s Mexican culture the best way I know how – through food. While not every single recipe I share on here is 100% the way my grandmother or Mexican ancestors would make it, I’m proud of being able to make delicious food that my family loves.
Because in the end, that’s what matters. 😊
Like this enchilada recipe? You may also like these!
Enchiladas SuizasPrint Pin Rate
- 1 batch homemade salsa verde or 2 1/2 cups store-bought salsa verde
- 1/2 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 1 pound cooked shredded chicken (perfect use of leftovers or rotisserie chicken!)
- salt, to taste
- 12 corn tortillas
- 3 cups shredded Cacique® Manchego cheese, divided
- chopped onions, for topping
- chopped cilantro, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium-high heat, add salsa verde. Heat up until almost boiling and remove from heat. Add Cacique® Crema Mexicana and whisk together until fully combined.
- In a large bowl, add shredded chicken and 1/2 cup salsa verde cream sauce. Toss together to coat chicken. Taste and season with salt if necessary.
- Wet an extra long paper towel with water until slightly damp. Wrap the corn tortillas in the damp paper towel and microwave for 25 seconds. This will warm and soften the tortillas so they’re pliable and don’t rip.
- Assemble the enchiladas by filling the tortillas with shredded chicken and 2 cups of shredded cheese. Place the enchiladas seam side down in a large 3-quart baking dish.
- Pour the remaining salsa verde cream sauce on top of the enchiladas and top with remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Top with chopped onions and fresh cilantro.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Get my most popular recipes sent to you for FREE!
Sign up for the weekly newsletter and receive this free ebook featuring the most viewed Isabel Eats recipes of 2017! Sign up and download the free ebook today.