This Skinny Margarita recipe is made with fresh lime juice, orange juice, tequila and agave nectar for a refreshing, low calorie cocktail! Make one or an entire pitcher for the perfect drink for summer entertaining or celebration like Cinco de Mayo.
Made with only 4 ingredients, this Skinny Margarita recipe is a low-calorie twist on my classic margarita recipe.
Now don’t get me wrong – I love a good regular margarita. But during the warmer months of the year, I’m usually craving something lighter and little more refreshing. That’s where this skinny margarita comes into play.
What is the difference between a skinny margarita and a regular margarita?
A skinny margarita is a low-calorie version of a regular margarita.
Instead of using an orange-liqueur like triple sec, Cointreau or Grand-Marnier, a skinny margarita uses fresh orange juice and a small amount of agave nectar.
The result is about 114 calories for a skinny margarita compared to about 256 calories for a classic margarita.
While there is technically less alcohol in this low-cal version, I think it’s a great option for anyone who is trying to watch what they eat and limit their alcohol intake.
And did I mention the flavor is amazing?! It’s so refreshing and made with a natural sweetener, you just can’t go wrong.
How to make skinny margaritas
- Add lime juice, orange juice, tequila and agave nectar to a glass or pitcher. Stir to combine.
- Pour skinny margarita into a glass rimmed with salt and filled with ice. Garnish with a lime and orange wedge.
This recipe uses clear silver/blanco tequila. Whichever brand you buy, make sure it’s made from 100% agave.
Silver and blanco tequilas I recommend
- Espolòn Blanco
- Olmeca Altos
- Casa Noble Crystal
- Patron Silver
- Casamigos Blanco
For one skinny margarita
- Pour kosher salt on a small plate. Run a lime wedge around the rim of a 8-ounce glass and dip in salt. Fill the glass with ice.
- In a cocktail shaker (or pitcher), add lime juice, orange juice, tequila and agave nectar. Shake or stir to combine.
- Pour skinny margarita into prepared glass and garnish with a lime and orange wedge.
- Silver tequilas I recommend – Espolòn Blanco, Olmeca Altos, Casa Noble Crystal, Patron Silver, Casamigos Blanco.
- Substitute for agave nectar – Simple syrup or honey.