This jicama slaw adds a refreshing flavor and light crunch to healthy dinners and weeknight meals. Made from a combination of jicama, cabbage, lime juice, and cilantro. Perfect in tacos, with fish, and as an easy side dish.
Table of Contents
When you need a little extra flavor and crunch with your main dish, top it with this fresh and tasty Jicama Slaw!
This vegetarian-friendly Mexican-inspired slaw recipe is so easy to make. Each ingredient compliments each other perfectly and tastes incredibly fresh. It’s the ultimate addition to summer meals, easy weeknight dinners, and even taco night!
What Is Jicama?
Jicama is a wonderful root vegetable that has a ton of uses! With its rough and tough skin and white flesh, you’d be surprised to learn it can be eaten both raw and cooked. If you’ve never cooked with jicama before, read through my detailed guide all about the vegetable and its uses.
Jicama tastes like a little bit of everything – sweet, crunchy, juicy, and nutty. It’s almost like a cross between an apple, a potato, water chestnuts, and a pear all rolled into one!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Jicama: This Mexican vegetable looks similar to a turnip or potato. It has a juicy, crunchy, and sweet flavor when it’s peeled and julienned, making it a fun addition to traditional slaw.
- Red or green cabbage: Both red and green cabbage will work for this recipe. Keep in mind that the color of red cabbage will start to release and turn the slaw pink the longer it sits. The flavor will still be the same but the color will be different.
- Mayonnaise: To make the slaw extra creamy. Feel free to swap it out with plant-based mayo to make this slaw recipe vegan.
- Lime juice: Fresh is best! Feel free to use bottled lime juice if it’s all you have at home.
- Jalapeños: Remove the seeds so the slaw isn’t overwhelmingly spicy.
- Cilantro and green onions: For balance and a little extra flavor.
How to Make Jicama Slaw
- Make The Dressing: In a small bowl, add the mayonnaise, lime juice, green onions, jalapeño, and salt. Whisk together to combine.
- Add Veggies: In a large bowl, add the jicama, red cabbage, cilantro, and whisked dressing.
- Toss: Toss everything together to combine. Serve immediately or store the slaw in the fridge until you’re ready to eat.
Use a sharp knife to slice the jicama and other vegetables. There is a lot of slicing, dicing, and julienning going on in this recipe, and a sharp knife will make your job safer and easier.
- The creamy base of the slaw can easily be adjusted. Swap out regular mayonnaise for a plant-based alternative to make this slaw recipe vegan. You can also use plain Greek yogurt as a lighter option.
- Make it spicy by leaving in the seeds of the jalapeno and even adding an extra diced jalapeño to really kick up the heat.
- Add avocados into the slaw for a dose of healthy fat and naturally creamy flavor.
The slaw dressing can be made ahead of time. Simply store it in an airtight container in the fridge until you’re ready to add it to the vegetables.
To store leftover slaw, add it to an airtight container or sealed bag. It should stay fresh in the fridge for up to 3 days.