Pollo en Chipotle (Creamy Chipotle Chicken) features tender yet golden-crusted chicken breast covered in a luscious smoky chipotle cream sauce. It’s an exciting, flavorful, and easy meal to try for dinner tonight that’s ready in only 35 minutes!
If you’re tired of the same old boring chicken for dinner, then this dish is for you! The smoky flavors from chipotle peppers in adobo sauce are on display in this easy recipe for Pollo en Chipotle. Each bite of the juicy chicken and creamy sauce is bold without being too spicy and is perfect for any night of the week!
The recipe begins with golden-crusted chicken breast and is finished with a creamy and smoky chipotle sauce. Bring the two together and BAM! You end up with a creamy and vibrant dish made with simple ingredients that isn’t too spicy and feels a little fancy!
The creamy chicken is best served over a bed of Cilantro Lime Rice, quinoa, or even pasta. I love cilantro on top but you could use parsley or even cotija cheese. Finish it off with a fresh salad and Chili Garlic Roasted Broccoli on the side for a complete and filling meal!
What is pollo en chipotle?
Pollo en chipotle, or creamy chipotle chicken, is a crowd-pleasing dinner recipe made from seasoned pan-fried chicken smothered in a chipotle cream sauce. It’s a popular choice for busy cooks who crave bold flavors without having to spend hours in the kitchen.
The chipotle chicken sauce is made from minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, milk, and heavy cream.
The list of ingredients in this recipe is short, simple, budget-friendly, and doesn’t lack in flavor.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Chicken breasts – The chicken is seasoned and dredged in flour before being pan-fried in butter and drowned in chipotle sauce. Every bite is super juicy and loaded with flavor.
- Seasonings – Black pepper and garlic powder will season the chicken breast before its dredged in all purpose flour. The flour seals in the flavor and helps the outside of the chicken crisp up in the skillet.
- Chipotle cream sauce – This creamy and smoky sauce is made from chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, heavy cream, and milk. The dairy tones down the heat from the peppers so each bite isn’t too spicy.
- Garlic and onion – For additional flavor and texture in the sauce.
- Cilantro – For garnish!
How to make pollo en chipotle
- Season the chicken: Sprinkle the chicken seasoning on all sides of each cutlet. Dredge each cutlet in flour.
- Sear the chicken: Add oil and butter to a pan and sear the chicken on both sides. Once each piece is golden brown, transfer it to a plate.
- Make the chipotle sauce: Cook the onions and garlic in more butter in the same pan. Reduce the heat and pour in the cream, milk, and chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Whisk everything together as it simmers.
- Combine everything together: Place the chicken cutlets back into the pan and cook until the sauce is thick and the chicken is cooked through. Garnish with cilantro and serve!
Tips and tricks
- When adding the cream sauce to the pan, make sure it never comes to full boil, only a gentle simmer. Boiling the sauce may cause the cream to curdle.
- Any cut of boneless, skinless chicken will work in this recipe. Use chicken thighs, tenders, strips, or any other kind you have in the house.
- Use less chipotle peppers for a not-so-spicy sauce. For a spicier sauce, add more chipotle.
- If you can’t tell if the chicken is cooked through, use a meat thermometer to measure the internal temperature. Properly cooked chicken breast should measure at 165ºF.
- Don’t feel like chicken? Make this recipe with shrimp instead!
This easy dinner idea can be served with vibrant side dishes or something simple to get it on the table faster. Here’s how I like to enjoy it:
- with cilantro lime cauliflower rice
- with crispy roasted Mexican potatoes
- over pasta
- with a simple side salad
- over quinoa or rice
Storing and reheating
To store, keep the leftovers in a sealed container for 3 to 4 days in the fridge.
To reheat, I recommend placing the chicken and chipotle sauce in a pan on low heat to prevent the sauce from separating. Cook until the chicken is warmed through. Or microwave in 45-second intervals until warmed through.