These crispy Air Fryer Taquitos feature juicy chicken and cheese rolled up and crisped to perfection in under 30 minutes. They’re a healthier alternative to traditional fried taquitos and are great topped with sour cream, hot sauce and all your favorite toppings!
Table of Contents
You won’t miss the traditional fried version of taquitos once you try these Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos. They’re just as crispy and crunchy but with less oil and ready in half the time!
Are air fryer taquitos healthy?
These are a great healthier alternative to your traditional taquitos that are deep-fried or pan-fried. Also, these homemade taquitos are better for you than the store-bought frozen variety that is often loaded with sodium and preservatives.
Ingredients in Air Fryer Taquitos
- Shredded chicken: I used my easy shredded chicken recipe and added even more spices like chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and ground cumin to give the chicken extra flavor.
- Shredded cheese: I recommend using a Mexican blend or Monterey Jack shredded cheese (a little extra won’t hurt).
- Corn tortillas: I used corn tortillas for the flavor and size, and they get more crispy than flour tortillas.
- Toothpicks: These help secure the taquitos once they’re rolled into shape.
- Cooking spray: I used my favorite avocado oil cooking spray, but you can use any you have on hand. You can also lightly brush oil onto the taquitos if you don’t have a spray version.
How to make air fryer taquitos
First, take your shredded chicken in a bowl and add chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and salt. Toss together to combine and set aside.
Heat up your corn tortillas to make them soft and pliable. Wrap them in a damp paper towel and microwave for 1-2 minutes, flipping halfway through. This helps prevent tearing when you’re rolling the taquitos.
Assemble the taquitos by placing a heaping spoonful of shredded chicken and cheese onto the tortilla. Tightly roll them and secure them with a toothpick on the seam.
Preheat your air fryer to 400°F. Place the taquitos in a single layer in the air fryer basket seam side down. Depending on how big your air fryer is, you will likely have to cook in multiple batches.
Spray the taquitos with cooking spray, air fry for 5 minutes, flip and spray again, then air fry for 2 more minutes. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining taquitos.
Once all the batches are done, top with sour cream, hot sauce, chopped onions, cilantro, and shredded lettuce!
What kind of chicken do I need for air fryer taquitos?
You’ll need cooked shredded chicken for these taquitos. You can make your own using this recipe, use any leftover chicken you have in the fridge, or make this recipe even easier and quicker by using shredded rotisserie chicken from the grocery store!
How do I keep the tortillas from cracking?
First, heat up your corn tortillas by wrapping them in a damp paper towel and microwaving them for 1-2 minutes, flipping halfway through. This helps prevent tearing when you’re rolling the taquitos. Then to keep them warm and moist during assembly, place them in a tortilla warmer to keep them from drying out and falling apart.
Storing, Freezing, and Reheating
- To store, transfer the taquitos to an airtight container in the fridge and store them for up to 5 days.
- To freeze, place the taquitos in a freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To reheat, place them back in the air fryer for 1-2 minutes to crisp up again.