Easy no-fuss Breakfast Enchiladas the whole family will love! Filled with scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage, bell peppers, and onions and covered in the best enchilada sauce and melted cheese.
This recipe is sponsored by my friends at Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs. All opinions expressed here are my own.
Enchiladas for breakfast are a real thing, friends! I made them for brunch one Sunday morning, and John and I were instantly hooked. We finished the leftovers throughout the week, and it made weekday breakfasts so easy.
It’s a perfect recipe for feeding a crowd, so if you’re hosting a brunch for friends or family, you’re going to want to make this!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe.
Breakfast Enchilada Ingredients
- Eggs: I’m a big fan of Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs! I love how they are Certified Humane and free range, so I know the hens are living the way they should. They’re the most high-quality eggs I’ve ever had, and it shows in the color of the yolk and their flavor!
- Breakfast sausage: I used a turkey breakfast sausage to keep things on the leaner side, but you can also use beef or a plant-based version if you prefer.
- Enchilada sauce: To keep things really easy, you can use your favorite store-bought enchilada sauce. However, I prefer making my own because the flavor is so much better! Here are three homemade options – Easy Enchilada Sauce made from chili powder, Authentic Red Enchilada Sauce made from whole dried chiles, or Green Enchilada Sauce made from roasted green chiles.
- Flour tortillas: I used store-bought flour tortillas (my personal favorite are the uncooked kind that you heat up on a skillet before using them). You could also use homemade flour tortillas if you have them on hand.
- Peppers, onions, and spices: I’m always trying to get in some veggies when I can! I used bell peppers in mine, but feel free to use poblanos or jalapeños for a little more heat. I also added some ground cumin and chili powder for more flavor.
- Shredded cheese: I used Monterey Jack cheese, but you can use any melting cheese you like. Cheddar and mozzarella are also great options.
How to make Breakfast Enchiladas
From start to finish, these breakfast enchiladas take 40 minutes to make. Grab a cup of coffee and let’s get cooking!
Saute the peppers and onions in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes, until they’ve softened and the onions start to become translucent.
Add in the breakfast sausage and spices and crumble it up with your spatula. Cook everything together for about 6-8 minutes until the sausage is fully cooked.
Add in the beaten eggs and stir them into the sausage mixture. Cook them for about 1 or 2 minutes, until they’ve just set like a soft scramble.
Remove the pan from the heat and let’s start assembling the enchiladas!
Pour some enchilada sauce in a 13×9-inch baking dish. This will help prevent the enchiladas from sticking to the bottom of the casserole.
Fill each tortilla with the sausage and egg filling, roll it up and place it in the baking dish seam side down.
Then pour the remaining enchilada sauce all over the tortillas and top everything with some shredded cheese.
Bake at 375°F until the cheese has melted, about 15 minutes and voila! That’s it!
I topped my breakfast enchiladas with some chopped cilantro, diced red onions and crumbled cotija cheese for a nice salty finish.
These would also be great served with a dollop of sour cream and some fresh homemade salsa!