This ground beef taco recipe, made with homemade taco seasoning, creates a flavor-packed weeknight meal! Easy to make and ready in only 25 minutes!
On a busy weeknight, easy Mexican dishes like tacos are such a time saver. From start to finish, including prepping the ingredients and toppings, this ground beef taco recipe comes together in 25 minutes. As a result, it is a weeknight staple in my house!
Is this beef taco recipe authentic Mexican food?
There are several ways to make a beef taco recipe, and this recipe in particular isn’t super authentic – they’re more along the lines of Tex-Mex which is a-okay with me!
Some differences between authentic and Tex-Mex beef tacos are:
- Type of Beef – Ground beef tacos are more popular in the U.S., while shredded beef is the choice of most Mexican cooks.
- Taco Shells – Hard taco shells and flour tortillas are rarely used for tacos. Mexicans prefer to serve tacos on soft corn tortillas. If you’re looking for a paleo option, here’s a great recipe for paleo tortillas.
- Toppings – The popular taco toppings in America are lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese. Mexicans top their tacos with diced onion and fresh cilantro.
Regardless of how they are served, I think the best beef taco recipe begins with homemade taco seasoning.
This is by far my favorite seasoning for beef tacos! I’ve always wanted to replicate the bold flavors of the taco seasoning packets you buy in stores and the ground beef tacos you get at restaurants, and you know what? I think I finally did it!
Taco seasoning won’t go bad, so make a big batch of it and keep it in your spice cabinet to use whenever you’d like!
What type of ground beef should I use?
When I make this ground beef tacos recipe, I use 85% lean ground beef. Anything leaner and you’ll run the risk of the meat being too dry.
If you plan to use leaner ground beef, or ground turkey or chicken, you may want to add another 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of cooking oil to the skillet. As a result, it will help the meat stay a little juicier.
How to Make Taco Meat
Making the beef tacos mixture really couldn’t be any easier! There are just a few simple steps.
- Add the taco seasoning into the ground beef. Using your clean hands is much easier than trying to combine everything with a spoon.
- Preheat a large skillet, add some oil, and wait for it to start shimmering. Note: If you are using ground beef with a high fat content, such as an 80/10 blend, you may not need to use oil at all.
- Brown the ground beef, then pour off any excess grease.
That’s all there is to it!
How can I make this beef taco recipe healthier?
If you’re watching your carb intake, this recipe can easily be adapted to meet your needs.
To make this a low carb meal, you can serve the beef tacos in lettuce or collard green wraps instead of tortillas.
The ground beef would also be great served over some greens with all the toppings for an easy taco salad.
Other Taco Recipes to Make
- Fish Tacos with Chipotle Lime Crema
- Eas Carnitas Tacos
- Baja Fish Tacos
- Easy Chicken Tinga Tacos
- Tacos Al Pastor
- Mexican Barbacoa Tacos