These Easy Grilled Shrimp Skewers are the best for summer grilling or roasting! Marinated in a flavorful seasoning and cooked along with vegetables, they’re a quick way to eat a healthy dinner. (gluten free, paleo, low carb)
One of my favorite things about summer (besides wearing super comfy dresses) is sitting on the porch and doing some grilling, and sunny weekends are perfect for it.
One of my go-to grilling meals are these Easy Grilled Shrimp Skewers. Marinated in tons of herbs and spices that you likely already have in your pantry, these shrimp skewers take a total of 35 minutes to make and are juicy, flavorful and pretty damn healthy.
What Makes These Shrimp Skewers So Great
- They’re so easy to make. Throw the shrimp and seasonings together to marinate, then stick them on some skewers with the veggies and pop them on the grill.
- These Grilled Shrimp Skewers cook up super fast. Less than 10 minutes on the grill and they’re done!
- They’re a healthy dinner that you don’t even have to turn on your oven for. In the summer heat, that’s a definite win.
Because the marinade for these shrimp skewers is made from ingredients that I regularly have in my kitchen, this recipe has officially become my go-to for grilled shrimp.
It’s a great appetizer or party food, perfect for summer holidays like 4th of July and Labor Day weekend, is a simple, no-fuss way to prepare juicy and flavorful shrimp.
How To Make Grilled Shrimp Skewers
In a large bowl (or resealable plastic bag), combine shrimp, olive oil, garlic, lime juice, orange juice, paprika, basil, thyme, sage, oregano, black pepper, salt and rosemary. Toss together until it’s evenly coated, the cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
While the shrimp is marinating, soak the wooden skewers in water for 15 minutes to prevent them from burning on the grill.
Preheat grill to medium heat. Thread 3 shrimp, 1 cherry tomato, 1 onion slice and 1 bell pepper slice onto each wooden skewers until all 15 skewers are prepared.
Cook the shrimp skewers on the grill for 3 minutes per side or until they turn pink and are cooked through.
Garnish with chopped cilantro and fresh lime juice.
Tips And Tricks
- To remove the shells of the shrimp, start with the underside and pull off the legs. Then start pulling up the shell from underside – the shell is softer there than on the back of the shrimp. The shell should come off easily. You can either leave the tail shell of the shrimp on when cooking and pull it off after or pull it off before cooking.
- When cutting the vegetables, try to make them roughly the same size and shape – they’ll cook more evenly that way.
- Don’t forget to soak the wooden skewers! If they’re not soaked, they will disintegrate over the high heat of the grill and it will be difficult to get your food off the grates.
- Not a fan of bell peppers or onions? No problem! Just switch up the veggies for something more your taste. Sliced zucchini or yellow squash would be good options.
- Bring a little heat to this dish by adding 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper into the marinade.
- If you don’t have a grill, you can cook these skewers in the oven at 450 degrees F for 5 to 7 minutes, until fully cooked through.
Serve it alongside some plain rice for a complete and satisfying meal or in a taco topped with Chimichurri to satisfy your summer taco cravings.
Because those summer taco cravings are REAL.
Other Ways To Enjoy These Shrimp Skewers
- with a heaping side of my Mom’s authentic Mexican rice
- keep in low carb with some Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- with a side salad like my Easy Watermelon Salad or a Healthy Avocado Salad
I hope you love this quick and simple recipe – be sure to give it a review below! To get more easy Mexican recipes delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for my weekly email newsletter. You can also follow Isabel Eats on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest!
- 1 1/2 pounds extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 15 wooden skewers
- 15 cherry tomatoes
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced into bite-sized squares
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into bite-sized squares
- In a large bowl (or resealable plastic bag), combine shrimp, olive oil, garlic, lime juice, orange juice, paprika, basil, thyme, sage, oregano, black pepper, salt and rosemary. Toss together until evenly coated. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- While shrimp is marinating, soak the wooden skewers in water for 15 minutes to prevent them from burning on the grill.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.* Thread 3 shrimp, 1 cherry tomato, 1 onion slice and 1 bell pepper slice onto each wooden skewers until all 15 skewers are prepared.
- Cook the shrimp skewers on the grill for 3 minutes per side or until they turn pink and are cooked through.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and fresh lime juice.