Crockpot chicken tacos are the perfect easy weeknight meal. They’re packed with flavor, come out fork-tender, and, most importantly, are hassle-free! Just throw all the ingredients into your crockpot, and you’re done.
These Crockpot chicken tacos are an easy dump-and-go meal that saves so much time and is great for your next Taco Tuesday! The prep work is minimal, the ingredients are easy to find at local grocery stores, and it’s mostly hands-free.
If you want to get creative, you can also use this chicken for other meals!
The versatility of this recipe is endless, and I can’t wait to see how everyone enjoys this recipe!
Why Use A Crockpot?
Crockpot recipes are as good as gold! They save so much time, make way fewer dishes in the kitchen, and are an almost foolproof way to perfectly cook any meal.
I most appreciate the peace of mind a good slow cooker recipe gives me, knowing that my family’s next meal is taken care of. When I’m swamped, I don’t always have the time to constantly keep an eye on the stovetop or prep and prepare a ton of ingredients individually. With a crockpot, it’s as simple as tossing everything together, setting the temperature and cook time, and closing the lid. It’s so simple!
- Chicken: I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts to keep things lighter, but you can use chicken thighs instead for a richer and juicier flavor.
- Tomatoes with green chiles: A 14.5-ounce can of diced tomatoes with green chiles will do the trick.
- Onion: A white onion helps add flavor and cooks well in the crockpot.
- Taco seasoning: I’m a big fan of making your own taco seasoning instead of buying premade store-bought packets. It saves me money in the long run and ensures that my seasoning blend is free of fillers, preservatives, added sugar, or funky ingredients often found in the pre-made packets. The taco seasonings used in this recipe include garlic powder, ancho chili powder, chili powder, onion powder, kosher salt, ground cumin, and Mexican oregano.
How to Make Crockpot Chicken Tacos
Step 1: Place the chicken breasts into the slow cooker and season with the taco seasoning mixture.
Step 2: Add the diced onion and can of diced tomatoes with green chiles.
Step 3: Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours until the chicken is fall-apart tender.
Step 4: Shred the chicken with two forks in the slow cooker and stir together with all the juices.
Step 5: Serve in warmed corn or flour tortillas for tacos, burritos, or nachos.
My favorite side that pairs well with crockpot chicken tacos is my authentic Mexican rice, but here are a few other ideas to jazz up your weeknight meals:
Recommended Tools and Ingredients
- Crockpot. Every household needs a crockpot/slow cooker, and this is the one that I prefer.
- Mexican oregano. If you need help tracking down Mexican oregano, try shopping online.
Storing and Reheating
To store, place any leftover chicken into an airtight container and refrigerate for 3-4 days.
To freeze, store your chicken in a freezer-safe container, press out all the air, and close. It can be kept frozen for up to 3 months.
Photos by Ashley McLaughlin.