This easy Watermelon Salad is made with cubed watermelon, crumbled feta or cotija cheese, mint leaves and an easy lime dressing that brings everything together! It’s great for serving at potlucks, parties and cookouts and adds a healthy and delicious element to every plate.
We are in peak watermelon season right now, and I’m taking full advantage of it by making a big bowl of this easy and refreshing watermelon salad!
The first time I made this recipe for my family, they were very skeptical. Sweet watermelon paired with salty cheese? Trust me, I said. Just trust me.
And it was love at first bite.
The pairing of watermelon with salty cheese may seem a bit odd, but they compliment each other perfectly, especially when tossed with some refreshing mint and lime juice.
It’s a salad that instantly reminds me of summer and is so addicting and satisfying, you’re going to want to make a double batch.
Watermelon Salad Recipe Ingredients
This salad is super addicting thanks to all the layers of flavor. Even though every ingredient is simple and easy to find at your local grocery store, each element provides a powerhouse of flavor that makes it really difficult to put down your fork.
Aside from the cubed watermelon (which provides the sweet factor), this salad incorporates:
- crumbled feta or cotija cheese – I used cotija because it’s one of my favorite Mexican cheeses, but you can also use feta since they both have that signature salty flavor
- red onions and jalapeno peppers – adds a nice sharp bite that compliments the sweetness of the watermelon
- lime zest & juice, olive oil and salt – makes a simple lime dressing that adds a creamy, savory and bright flavor to the watermelon
- mint leaves – one of my favorite herbs that helps tie the lime and watermelon together
How to make Watermelon Salad
This salad is perfect for parties and entertaining because it’s so easy to make!
Simply combine the cubed watermelon , crumbled cheese, red onions, jalapenos and mint in a large bowl.
In a separate small bowl, make the lime dressing by whisking together the zest and juice of two limes, some olive oil and a pinch of salt.
Gently toss the dressing with the watermelon salad and that’s it!
This salad is best served cold and immediately after making. I recommend chilling the watermelon before making the salad.
More fresh and healthy recipes
- Watermelon Agua Fresca (Agua de Sandia)
- Easy Gazpacho Recipe
- 5-Minute Fresh Homemade Salsa
- Healthy Avocado Salad
I hope you love this recipe – be sure to give it a review below! To get more easy Mexican recipes delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for my email newsletter. You can also follow Isabel Eats on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest!
For the salad
- 8 cups cubed watermelon, chilled (about 1/2 medium-large fruit)
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese (or feta cheese)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced mint leaves
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
For the dressing
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- In a large bowl, add the watermelon, cheese, red onion, mint and jalapenos.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime zest, lime juice, olive oil and salt.
- Pour the lime dressing into the large watermelon bowl and gently toss everything together.
- Serve immediately.
Are you making this watermelon salad for a party or get-together? Here are some recipes that go well with this side.